User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirred Top or Dress Tutorial *Img Heavy* - DL

Downloads
    Uploads

Shirred Top or Dress Tutorial *Img Heavy* - DL

Thought I'd share how I do it

Supplies:
    measuring tape, fabrics, fabric pen, ruler, scissors/rotary cutter, elastic thread, pins, iron, & of course, your sewing machine

First start with measuring. Measure around the chest. Next you want to measure from the top of the armpit to the length you want the top/dress to be. For my DD I measured 20” for her chest and 10” for the length of the top.

Length Measurement- Now we decide what kind of finish the top & bottom will have and this will tell us how much to add to our length measurement. For this top I am going to do a rolled hem. I usually cut ¼” off so I will add ½” to my total length (1/4” for the top and ¼” for the bottom) So my length is 10.5”

Width Measurement- For my DDs top I double her width measurement (but depending on the size you need and the fabric width you can sometimes do 1 and a half instead of 2 times the width, shirring can be very forgiving) So my width is 40”.

Lay out your fabric and use your ruler and fabric pen (or rotary cutter) to measure and cut out the measurement you just figured out above.

TIP: If your width measurement is bigger than the measurement from selvage to selvage, you will need to cut 2 pieces.

Now it’s time to sew! Finish the top & bottom edges with the technique you chose. Here’s my rolled hem. (see below for a couple other finishes I did to show you)
    TIP: If you had to cut 2 pieces to accommodate your width measurement, stitch one side seam first & then finish the top & bottom edges.

Now to the shirring. Use regular thread in the top and elastic thread in the bobbin. I wind several bobbins (I have to do it by hand) and keep them ready. I start by lining the edge up 5/8” & stitch my first row of shirring. When I get to the end of the fabric I leave the needle in the fabric, turn to a 90 degree angle and stitch about 3 stitches (along the side edge), leave the needle in the fabric and rotate it again 90 degrees lining up the other side of your presser foot with the first row of shirring.

Continue the technique until you do the amount of rows desired, I did 7 rows for my DD. When I’m done I tie the thread and elastic thread together for added security.
    TIP: keep track of your elastic thread and if you need to switch the bobbin you will want to finish the row at the end of the fabric as opposed to the middle

continued....
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now we are ready to stitch the seam. I use a French seam. First stitch the seam WRONG SIDES together ¼”.

Then stitch the seam RIGHT SIDES together 3/8” (this encloses the first seam we just did). And press the seam to one side.

Now for the magic part. Turn your top/dress wrong side out and steam the shirring. This will shrink it up but it will still be stretchy.

Now all we have left is to add the ties. I’ve decided to do “V” type halter style so I cut a piece of ribbon and pinned it to the front middle. Then following the top shirring line I stitched it a couple times.

Added a fabric covered button and viola…all done

ETA-I also have some different techniques for edges and ties with pictures. I submitted it as a download, but if you want me to add them here too I can HTH someone
    Last edited by Krista; 07-24-2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: add

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a great tutorial and a darling little top. I love shirring. I've never tried a French seam. You make it so clear and easy seeming!
    Tracy, Mummy to my first, love, Imogen (1990), and to my sweet twin girls, Violet and Lily (2004), ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My sweet Imogen ... my darling doctor to be

Little Ballerinas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much Tracy! I'm glad someone likes it and may benefit from it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great tutorial - I may just try it soon!!
    Ann Marie
    Wife to Joe, Mama to Emmy Jack Natalie

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are truly amazing
    Amy SAHM mom to 5 .Wife to one computer genius who thinks I have no brain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    amazing!!!

I've always admired shirring, but just haven't been brave enough to dive in and do it... you certainly make it look easy!!
    Judy, wife to my dh, and mama to my four little girls: M, K, L, HJ, missing our loss (Aug. '11) and loving life with baby #5, a boy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would really like to try this but I have a few questions.

I have never used elastic thread, is there a special technique to winding the bobbin?

I am also a bit confused as to what you mean my this tip:
    "TIP: keep track of your elastic thread and if you need to switch the bobbin you will want to finish the row at the end of the fabric as opposed to the middle"

Thanks for taking the time to write up this tutorial, the pictures are great, you make it look so simple. I hope it really is!
    Sarah ~ Wife to a wonderful husband and father, Mother of four Beautiful children Kyle(10), Mira(7), Rion(5) and Liam(1/11/11).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarilla View Post
    I would really like to try this but I have a few questions.

I have never used elastic thread, is there a special technique to winding the bobbin?

I am also a bit confused as to what you mean my this tip:
    "TIP: keep track of your elastic thread and if you need to switch the bobbin you will want to finish the row at the end of the fabric as opposed to the middle"

Thanks for taking the time to write up this tutorial, the pictures are great, you make it look so simple. I hope it really is!
    I wind my bobbin by hand. I have heard that some machines work better with it wound on the machine. Honestly you just need to give it a go and see how it is with your machine.
    What I mean with that tip is to make sure you don't run out of your bobbin elastic in the middle of the row...so basically make sure you have enough elastic thread in the bobbin for the entire row before you start.
    Just go for it...I'm sure it will be easier than you think

Downloads
    Uploads
    What a great tutorial! I can't wait to try it - I've been buying pre-shirred but I'd rather be able to make my own!
    Michele
    Mama to Kayla, 23; Jake, 19; Katie, 13 and Dakota, 11

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, as you're sewing, does it naturally gather like that? And you're not pulling it tight or anything while you sew are you? I'm curious to try it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CorkysCookies View Post
    So, as you're sewing, does it naturally gather like that? And you're not pulling it tight or anything while you sew are you? I'm curious to try it.
    It does start to gather after a row or two. And yes, you do need to make sure you are sewing on straight fabric...so you will need to pull it once it starts to gather up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you use a regular foot or a shirring foot?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks agin for the tute! I have had a successful practice run. It does get challenging keeping the rows even, but I was proud of my first attempt!
    Sarah ~ Wife to a wonderful husband and father, Mother of four Beautiful children Kyle(10), Mira(7), Rion(5) and Liam(1/11/11).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by saimeiyu View Post
    Do you use a regular foot or a shirring foot?
    A regular foot

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarilla View Post
    Thanks agin for the tute! I have had a successful practice run. It does get challenging keeping the rows even, but I was proud of my first attempt!
    Yay! Yes it does get tough...especially with a lot of rows...but if it's minoe it's really hard to tell

Downloads
    Uploads
    How neat, thank you for the tutorial!

Downloads
    Uploads
    leave the needle in the fabric and rotate it again 90 degrees lining up the other side of your presser foot with the first row of shirring
    That's what I've been doing, too. It just seem to me that it would make the shirring less likely to come apart.

GREAT Tutorial! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by skalafut View Post
    That's what I've been doing, too. It just seem to me that it would make the shirring less likely to come apart.

GREAT Tutorial! Thanks!
    I only do this when my rows are close together.
    But if, for instance, I am making two rows close...leaving a longer spacw of about an inch and then 2 rows close...then I don't. I actually learned that way in Ottobre.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok, i am trying this now and have a few questions.

with the bobbin...is the elestic thread suposed to be wound tight (streched) or relaxed as it is on the spool i bought it on.

does the tention or anything on my machine need to be diffrent.

i gave it a try and don't see much happening. i have read to add more rows...but wanted to ask these before waisting too much fabric/thread

thanks!
    Wife to Joe and SAHM to Tyler, Justyne, Ainsley, and one on the way for December!

Can't ever seem to fill you're shoes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast