User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Satin Stitch Applique Tutorial in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Satin Stitch Applique Tutorial in downloads

Here is how I do the satin stitch applique.

What you will need:
    -Fabrics of your choice
    -Heat N Bond lite
    -pencil
    -scissors
    -stabilizer
    -iron
    -and sewing machine, of course

First take the piece of fabric you'd like to make the applique out of and iron the Heat n Bond Lite onto the back. I usually lay my piece out and cut around it, then turn it over and iron it on.

Cut out the shapes you want to applique. In this case I am doing 3 pieces (2 for the front of a shirt and one for the back) Here the pencil comes in handy to draw an exact shape on the paper backing, and you can also trace something on the paper part before ironing it to the fabric too...just remember the shape will be reversed when you put it on your item.

Tip: don't cut out the exact shapes until after you iron on the Heat N Bond Lite, it makes it so much easier to cut it out afterwards and not have to line up exact shapes.

Peel off the paper backing and position it to where you like it. Then iron them on.

Tip: When you have one overlapping the other, sometimes it's good to cut away the excess so that only the edge overlaps. This is great for when you use lighter fabrics and can see through them and also keeps it so it's not so bulky.

Next I cut a piece of stabilizer and place it under all of the fabrics (I use a tearaway kind) Pin around the edges to hold it in place.

Now it's time to sew!
    The satin stitch is just the zigzag stitch. You can make it as wide and as long a stitch as you like. (for these I used a stitch width of 2.5 and length of almost 0, I like mine tight together) I know all machines are not the same so play on a scrap and see what you like. I start on the outside edge and put my needle right next to the edge of the applique.

When I stitch on a curve, I go a couple of stitches and, with my needle in the fabric, I lift my presser foot and slightly turn the fabric, then repeat. Tip:for an outside cuve (like I'm doing) stop your needle on the outside when turning...for an inside curve, stop your needle on the inside.

Tip: for straight square type stitches-when you get to a corner you want to go a couple of stitches past the edge and then turn. (sorry the pic is kinda hard to see)

Tip:when working with more than one piece, I always start stitching the one that is underneath if possible. That makes it so the edges get covered by the last one you stitch.

And last I take the pins out and tear away the paper stabilizer.

All done!

Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some things I've done using this technique...
    All the "ladybug" dots are appliqued on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very timely! I was just asking about appliques in a thread yesterday. I will have my laptop with your tutorial right by my sewing machine while I attempt my first one tomorrow. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this! Very clear photos and instructions.
    Heather
    Mama to:

Chase(7)Regan(5)Maso n(3)Eli(1)
    Married to my dh
    (who can fix ANYTHING!) for 9 years

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wonderful tutorial mama. I love to see these and you did a FABULOUS job!!!!!!!!!!
    Now I feel the need to applique, lol.
    Amy SAHM mom to 5 .Wife to one computer genius who thinks I have no brain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you.
    I am a detail oreinted.
    And you are very specific.
    Thank you again!
    Shyma

"Maya" as DS calls me to him, Mohammed 12/26/05, and to my girl Alia 7/27/07,and baby boy Ahmad 6/14/09

ISO:
    Olive+S Bubble Dress size 2T & up
    Minkee dot: Yellow or Baby Blue
    Velour (75-80% cotton):In chocolate, raspberry, black, orange, red
    at good price to help on the international shipping please ^_^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool Tut Krista
    Thank you for doing it

and Mamas I have the fairy set and let me tell you the applique is PERFECT!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great Tut! Your PM's are full, but I PM'd you to let you know i was going to put this in PDF format for you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Mama to Noah (Aug 03), Owen (Jun 06), and Rosa (Feb 11)

Come visit my blog!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Krista--that tutorial is awesome!
    ~*~Lauren & Kathryn First Day of School 2008~*~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for posting this! I attempted several appliques this past week and they look "okay", but now I see I did several things wrong.

I love that letter A -- so pretty.

Also, I thought that the Heat and Bond says to NOT use w/a sewing machine? Can you use a machine? I was afraid to try.

Tanya

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the tutorial.

These are great instructions. Very easy to understand!

Lisa
    wife to Simon and mom to 7 wonderful kids!
    McKrae 13, Westley 11, Grant 9, Leah 7, Elise 5, & Ella 3 and Leeanne born 2/09

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial! It helps alot!!!
    *~Kim~*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you.

Buried under a pile of clean but unfolded laundry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2 thumbs way up for an awesome tutorial.
    Sabrina
    Mom to 3 little men and a little lady

I blog!

ISO of Ottobre 2/01

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tavsmummy View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this! I attempted several appliques this past week and they look "okay", but now I see I did several things wrong.

I love that letter A -- so pretty.

Also, I thought that the Heat and Bond says to NOT use w/a sewing machine? Can you use a machine? I was afraid to try.

Tanya
    You need the Heat N Bond Lite (or any other type that says ok for machine applique). The regular won't work. It gums up your needle (trust me, I know! )

Downloads
    Uploads
    this is how I do it minus the paper stabalizer, great tut

~ Kristen ~ Wife to Jay, mama to Lily, Avry and Jackson

Downloads
    Uploads
    Krista..
    the only thing that would improve this tut is if you told me how to make one of those adorable fairy appliques!!
    Sheri: college student
    sewing noob
    and single mama
    to 2 yr old LillyGoose

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great info, thanks!

Question--so when you wash it, do the stitches ripple or anything? Because I've done this a couple times and after laundering, it gets a little... less pretty (I mean appliques on knits primarily, with wovens I don't have this problem). The first time I think I didn't use stabilizer, and it was pretty bad. And I've done it with tearaway stabilizer and still had rippling after laundering the item. I guess I'm wondering if this is common or if there's something I'm missing.

I do want to try appliqueing with a stabilizer that is left on and see if that helps....
    Vicki

blog:

etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria View Post
    Great info, thanks!

Question--so when you wash it, do the stitches ripple or anything? Because I've done this a couple times and after laundering, it gets a little... less pretty (I mean appliques on knits primarily, with wovens I don't have this problem). The first time I think I didn't use stabilizer, and it was pretty bad. And I've done it with tearaway stabilizer and still had rippling after laundering the item. I guess I'm wondering if this is common or if there's something I'm missing.

I do want to try appliqueing with a stabilizer that is left on and see if that helps....
    I used to get rippling when I first started and I wasn't using the stabilizer. And after washing I iron it if it's like that.
    Although I just started using the mesh fusible stuff (don't know it's exact name) after I'm all done. I got it a Joann's and it looks like the same stuff you see on the back of applique's on RTW clothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunatly I cannot get HeatnBond Lite.
    But I got a question,

So the main purpose in applique,
    is to interface the applique and fuse it temporary to the garment (until washed)
    or fuse everthing permenantly, interfaced applique permenantly fused to garment?

TIA!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast