User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favorite napkins sewalong * added to downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

My favorite napkins sewalong * added to downloads

I make napkins only a couple times a year and every time I do I have to reinvent the wheel because I've forgotten all the details of my favorite mitered corner technique. So last night I decided to make a sewalong. I was cracking myself up using the piggy fabric for napkins.

I like generously sized napkins, so I start with an 18" square of fabric. Flannel is one of my favorites and I also really like linen. I use my ruler to make a line 1¼" from each side on the right side of the fabric and then mark extra dark at the corner intersections so that mark can also be seen from the wrong side of the fabric.

Then I finish the edges by serging, not cutting anything off. This isn't necessary, but I like to use my favorite corner turning technique (thanks to Marcey/lovebugsmom for this). Go one stitch off the edge...

pull the threads to the back and off of the stitch fingers...

turn the fabric 90 degrees and line it up so the first stitch will be right on the edge of the fabric. I like to take up the slack of the threads by pulling them back toward the spools (this trick courtesy of Heather/xheathers).

Press the serged edge under, this pressed edge will come in handy later.

Now let's miter the corners. Fold and press each corner so the serging lines up. Can you see the blue dot at the bottom, it should be right on the pressed fold.

Now you'll fold at that blue dot, still keeping the serged edges lining up. Mark from the blue dot up to the serged edge, this will be your stitching line.

Stitch the corners up to, but not over, the serged edge

and trim the excess.

gently push out your corners, press the edges under, the blue line should be right on the edge, then repress the serged edge under.

Now take your napkin to the machine and sew all the way around. If you pivot at the corners when your needle is exactly in the mitered seam, you'll be perfectly lined up to start the next side.

Voilą, a finished napkin with perfectly mitered corners!
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    subbing.

I'll definately want to make these. My napkins are in a sad sad state right now. Ok, officially, they should be reclassified as rags.
    Wool Food Mama
    -----
    green gusty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those look so nice. I'm so lame I just do round corner serged napkins. I'm with you flannel is my fave napkin fabric.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent! Thank you SO much! I am in desperate need of new napkins for the table!
    April
    "Mom" to 4 girls and 2 bulldogs.
    "Sweetie" to twin toddlers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome sew-a-long!! Can we add this to the downloads?

Thanks Jayme!

Tara

!

Downloads
    Uploads
    YAY!! just what I needed to motivate me to make a set of napkins.
    Thanks!!!
    Kim, mom to Dominic, Eli, Nathan & Sofia.

here's a couple of them...

Downloads
    Uploads
    So cute! This technique also looks good with two layers, and you leave the serge finished edges showing on one side as a border. I've done placemats that way, using a decorative thread in the upper looper.
    Jen

Downloads
    Uploads

Very useful sewalong! Thank you for taking the time to do this

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    sweet! Thanks for the sewalong and I agree, let's archive this baby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Jayme!! I'm going to have to try this (as soon as I sew up the huge pile I cut out last weekend).
    Angie

mama to Jacquelyn-10, Zachary-5, and Nathan-2

Our new puppy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are so great at sewalongs!
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perfect! Thank you! Now, let's see if I make any....

I do need to test out the new serger blade I put on the machine!
    Shelia aka: Bigmomma

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great sewalong!!!!

This is actually my favorite way to make light nursing blankets from flannel. I received one like this with my daughter (now almost nine) and have made several since then for gifts. It works well for a quick gift, and because the edges are "weighted" for lack of a better word, they seem to drape really well for nursing while not being hot.

My hem tends to be about 2.5 inches wide for blankets.

~Christy
    Christy
    CLC (Certified Lactation Counselor)
    wife to my favorite guy
    and mom to two
    Tristana
    and Jack

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I will have to try those. I have not done any like this.
    Oh and I love the pig flannel
    ((HUGS))
    Peppermint

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those look great! I've gotta give it a try!
    Mom to David (6), Collin (4), Kate (2), and Luke (11 m.) and married to my high school sweetheart!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: My favorite napkins sewalong

Way easier than the way I do it! Thanks for shairing this!

Downloads
    Uploads

This is wonderful, my MIL would love a set of those! Score a christmas idea. Thanks
    Tonya

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for sharing! I have just been using my roll hem attachment. Mitered corners seem much more polished!

Downloads
    Uploads

bump

Downloads
    Uploads

Your napkins are way more pretty than mine. I love how you did them - much more effective than the way I have been doing them.
    Erika

mama to 3 (14, 12, & 9 yrs)

ISO fabric with guinea pigs on it -- woven or knit, cartoon or realistic (as long as we can tell what it is), scraps to yardage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast