User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elasticized Headband/Bandana Sew-a-long *in dwnld*

Downloads
    Uploads

Elasticized Headband/Bandana Sew-a-long *in dwnld*

I saw a headband similar to this at Etsy a bit ago and was thinking they were "blanks" because the store dyed things but I wasn't able to find them ANYWHERE. So with a little convincing from someone I decided to just figure it out on my own. It came together really cute and I thought it would be a great sew along.

This sew along will make you a smaller sized bandana that can be scrunched up or pleated into a simple head band. It has elastic at the back(covered).

The cut fabric pieces in the pictures may not be the EXACT size that I mention because it took me a few run throughs to find the right dimensions, but its good for a visual.

Ok, here we go! (Whew I am talkative tonight!)

Step 1. Cut your pieces. I have found the following pieces work best for me (and will fit a head measurement of 21-23"). One long stretch of fabric (the main bandana fabric) that measures 8" tall by 19 inches long. A second smaller piece of fabric (which will cover the elastic in the back) that is 4 inches tall, 6 inches long. Finally you need a piece of elastic. I use 1" wide cut to about 3.25 inches long.

Step 2. Finish edges of main bandana. Now you want to serge and hem the long edges of the 8"x19" piece. I serge and then just do a simple straight stitch down both sides.
    Serged:

Hemmed:

Step 3. Finish edges of elastic covering. Serge and hem the short side(4") of the 4"x6" piece.

Last edited by tiffany; 07-05-2007 at 03:20 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Step 4. Sew up elastic covering. With right sides together sew up long side of the 4"x6" piece so you have a tube(with open ends) that is aprox. 2"x6". Now turn tube right side out and set aside for now.

Step 5. Pleat your bandana. Now you need to take your piece that measures aprox. 8"x19" (with hemmed long edges) and pleat or gather the short sides (the unfinished edges). I find that 3 almost even pleats work best for me, but you can gather it or do more pleats. You want the finished height to be about 1.5" so it will fit into your elastic covering. Sew a straight stitch 1/4" in from the edge to secure the pleats in place. Do this for both sides.

Step 6. Attach the elastic to one side. You should now have a 19" wide piece of fabric that is hemmed on the long edges and pleated on both ends. Attach the left side of the piece of elastic elastic to the pleated end of the bandana.

Step 7. Attach elastic covering. Insert elastic and bandana through the elastic covering you made in step 4until the left side of the elastic covering is just past your stay stitching that holds the pleats in place. Sew through all layers to secure it ( I like to sew along the hem I placed on the elastic covering in step 3 so there aren't any extra stitching lines).

Now pull the free end (the right side) of the elastic through the rest of the elastic covering and stitch it down to the other pleated side of the bandana just like you did previously.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Step 8. Finish! Secure the right side of the elastic covering to the headband like you did above for the left side.

You are now finished. The back of your bandana should look similar to this:

Worn as a bandana:

Worn as a headband:

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I got it all... if anyone has any questions or if I wasn't clear about any of it LMK!
    *~* tiffany*~*
    mom to Kyla (8) & Willow (5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you so much i have been thinking of making those for a wile now and now i can make them

Downloads
    Uploads
    cute! I've seen these somewhere too and thought they were neat. Now we can all make them. Thanks!
    Amanda~
    Mama to Alyssa (9/99), Trinity (8/01) and Joseph (1/06)

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks, my neice just asked if I would make her something like this!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i knew you would figure these out. they look great!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    great SA thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw the one you listed on Full Bloom and thought it was really cool! Thanks for the sew-along!
    Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the sew along! I could use some of these!
    Mama to Trystan 22, Ty 19, Gracie 17, Gavin 13 and Emilianne 9. Wow the years have flew by...

Forever Missing my sweet Ron July 14, 1970 - June 18th, 2009

Downloads
    Uploads
    very cool! thanks for sharing!
    Jayne
    aka milosmom

check out my sewing album and leave me a comment!

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeaaa! thank you im growing out my hair a little and need something cute to keep it tame~

Just another Tara ,wife to BG,mama to Bailee,Makenna,Sully & Sebastian!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got a similar one for Mary at H and M, I was hoping to deconstruct it and now I don't have to! Thanks!!!

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you!
    Des - Happy Wife to my Mr. Wonderful & Mom to 2 girls and a guy: dd (12), dd (10), and ds (8)

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is SO cool! Cyan will love it! Thanks! (Great job BTW!)
    Val
    Partner to the love of my life, Don
    Sewing mama to Alex and Cyan and Logan

The youngest from last year and then the youngest from this year. Logan and Joey at the sew expo... Logan is 13 mos old!

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh and hers was made with cotton/lycra which really fits to the noggin in a cute way

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! My girls and me are going to love making and wearing these.

love and blessings
    angie
    "I am NOT my hair..." I am who I am.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for this. It looks really cute. I will have to try one.
    Roseanne

There can be no happiness equal to the joy of findng a heart that understands. --Victor Robinsoll

If my heart is right with God, every human being is my neighbor. --Oswald Chambers

Instead of a gem or a flower, cast the gift of a lovely thought into the heart of a friend.
    --George MacDonald

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    oh and hers was made with cotton/lycra which really fits to the noggin in a cute way
    a knit was going to be my next attempt... I thought it would be comfy! Good to know it is
    *~* tiffany*~*
    mom to Kyla (8) & Willow (5)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast