User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Drawstring Bag Sew-along *added to downloads*

Downloads
    Uploads

Double Drawstring Bag Sew-along *added to downloads*

I've made these in many different sizes, from pillowcase size to be used as a travel laundry bag, to very small to hold the marbles for our chinese checkers set. The finished dimensions of the bag below are 8½" wide by 9" tall and the directions will be given for a bag this size.

Thank you Stephanie/barefootfairy for sending the wonderful package of Amy Butler scraps!

Double Drawstring Bag

Cut one outer fabric and one lining, each piece measures 9x19. These are folded in half.

Use ¼" seam allowances throughout. On the lining piece, sew one side seam completely from top to bottom. On the other side, start at the top and sew a few inches down. Leave a hole for turning approximately 2½-3", then sew the rest of the seam finishing at the bottom of the bag.

For the outside of the bag, make a mark about 1.75-2" down from the top of the bag and a parallel line ½" below that (if you want to use a wider drawstring, make the second line more like .75" below the first).

With right sides together, sew from the top of the bag outer to the first line, then sew from the second line to the bottom of the bag. Repeat on the other side of the bag outer. This opening will be to thread your drawstring through later.

Turn the lining right side out and place it inside the bag outer so that the right sides of each piece are facing. Sew all the way around the top of the bag.

Reach inside the turning hole and turn the bag so that the right sides of each piece are showing, then tuck the lining inside the bag.

Press the bag so that it's nice and flat.

Sew all the way around the bag on both parallel lines to form the drawstring casing.

Cut your two drawstrings about 28" long and thread the first one through one side, all the way around the bag and back out the same opening, then knot the two ends together.

Repeat with the second drawstring, starting on the opposite side. If necessary, trim the ends of the drawstring and dab them with fray check or hold over a flame to seal the ends.

Hand sew the opening in the lining and you're all done!
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    jayme, you rock, this is awesome. I've tried several times to figure out how to make a 2 layer drawstring bag that I like, and have never been totally satisfied. Now I'll have to add this project to my list too

Downloads
    Uploads
    [smilie=sign0060[1].gif] I love sew alongs!

[smilie=icon_rr[1].gif] <----I just dig this dude.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cute bag Jayme and great sew along!!!
    Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Camping '07~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooh, that is a good one. We need a few for game peices.
    Allison
    mama to Ara (16), Simone (14), and Zarin (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow Jayme, thats fantastic!

[smilie=you-rock[1].gif]
    Heather
    Mom to 3 girls: Ellie (14), Isabelle (11), Alexandra (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooooh, love it!!! These will make great gift-bags for the holidays for packages we're mailing to family.

[smilie=thanx[1].gif]
    Des - Happy Wife to my Mr. Wonderful & Mom to 2 girls and a guy: dd (12), dd (10), and ds (8)

Downloads
    Uploads
    those would be great for party favors, too. can't wait to try it! thanks!
    Jayne
    aka milosmom

check out my sewing album and leave me a comment!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for this--it's awesome! [smilie=flowers2[1].gif]
    ~*~Lauren & Kathryn First Day of School 2008~*~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh cool! I need to make a few of these for gift bags
    timmi

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, this is great! I can see SO many uses for this type of bag. Thanks, Jayme!

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    What a great bag! I'll have to try that... Thanks for doing such a great sew along!
    Heather
    Full-time mom to Laura (12) and Elena (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great instructions, thanks for taking time to post them!
    -Sonya

sunset over Lake Superior

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama2kjm
    Oh, this is great! I can see SO many uses for this type of bag. Thanks, Jayme!
    [smilie=yeahthat[1].gif]
    Becky
    Mama to Three Texas Tornadoes
    Quintin, Trentin & Miss Riplee

Three Generations
    - Quintin, my precious mom, Miss Riplee, Me and Trentin

Downloads
    Uploads
    cute! Thanks for sharing
    Vicki

blog:

etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awsome bag!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just thinking I need to make a drawstring bag for all the bouncy balls we have acummulated. Thanks for sharing.

TaraP Guest
    Awesome! Thanks. And gives me a new way to recycle the legs of jeans.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick help.. Need waist measurement for size girls 6-7

Thank you!! I've been making big gift bags for Christmas presents but hadn't tried to do any with a drawstring. I'll be adding those to my list of TO DO sewing. [smilie=party0048[1].gif] [smilie=party0048[1].gif]
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.
    The Mommy to Victoria (2.06.01), Jackson (3.06.03), Aidan (9.26.04) and Grace (07.04.06).

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh that's cool! wonder if i'm smart enough to figure it out [smilie=costumed-smiley-024[1].gif]
    Terri, mama to 4 beautiful girls and a BOY

Thinning out the stash, join my Yahoo group for steals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast