User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kori Skirt Sew Along *added to downloads*

Downloads
    Uploads

Kori Skirt Sew Along *added to downloads*

Please understand, these are very amateur directions. I pretty much measured my favorite Urban Outfitters skirt, added seam allowances and figured how to make it...my way. You may know a better way to do it. Here goes.

The skirt in the photos was made for my 10 year old sister who is super tall and wears a size 12.

I'll add my measurements to the end for reference to those who may be a similar size to me. I didn't want her skirt as tight on her hips (since she's a preteen and thin) as I wanted mine. Her measurements are waist 25" and hips 30.5". Remember knits vary and the stretchier the knit the smaller you cut the width. I think this was a stretchy jersey with some lycra. If it was something like baby nay rib knit I would have taken at least an inch off the width of my cuts. For her size I cut the following pieces (width measurement is first) ~

Waist band - 24" X 12" (cut 1)
    First Tier - 16" X 5" (cut 2)
    Second Tier 24" X 9" (cut 2)
    Third Tier 34" X 9" (cut 2)

Here's a pic of the 3 tiers, didn't take one of the waist band.

After cutting out all of the fabric I cut out the lastin I use to gather with. At this time you'll gather the bottom two tiers with whatever method you use so that they will be the same size as the bottom of the tier above them. Disregard the next bit if you don't use lastin.

I cut the lastin for each tier 1 inch shorter then the above tier I'm gathering it too. So for this skirt I cut two pieces of lastin at 15" each to gather the 2nd tier to attach to the first tier and two pieces at 23" each to gather the 3rd tier to attach to the second tier.

I then mark the lastin and the skirt piece in 4ths. Here's a photo of that:

Next I zig zag the lastin onto the edge of the skirt panel, stretching to meet the marks. It looks like this:

Here's what my lastin gathering looks like (after attaching it to the other panel, which we haven't done yet):

After gathering all 4 pieces of the bottom 2 tiers I'm ready to serge the side seams. I serge the side seams of the two bottom gathered tiers as well as the first tier which is not gathered. Serging side seams:

I then serge the waistband, right sides together. After serging it I try it on to make sure it fits. You will fold the waistband as that's how it will be worn. Make sure it's snug and remember that after the skirt is attached it will be heavier and could pull down. If it doesn't seam snug enough serge again taking off another 1" or whatever is necessary. This one was perfect:

Here's what all your tiers and waist band should look now:

Now it's time to attach the tiers. For the waistband I stretch and pin it in quarters attaching it to the first tier. You fold the waistband in half, wrong sides together, stretch and pin it in quarters attaching to the first tier and serge. It kind of reminds me of sewing a cuff onto a shirt. I hope that makes sense. There's only one seam in the waistband and I put it in the middle of the back. It doesn't look that perfect when finished but the waist band will be folded over that seam so it doesn't concern me. Here's how it looks serging it on:

Here's how it will look finished:

Now it's time to attach the bottom 2 tiers, matching side seams. I pin at the side seams and then in the middle as shown:

When serging with lastin gathers this is the amount I cut of and where the needles are. I let some of the lastin remain as I've found if I try to cut it all off my gathers flatten and stretch out. Serging tiers to each other:

After the waistband and all tiers are attached you are almost done. I do a light rolled hem on mine with the plan that the hem will roll up. You can do whatever kind of hem you prefer. My hem:

That's it! It's much easier then I'm I've made it with all these instructions. LOL You'll need to figure out your own measurements. Let me know if you need help based on your measurements and how long you want it.

The waistband folds down when worn. Here are some finished photos:

For more reference I wear a 10/12 and my measurements are waist 30", hips 40". I wear the skirt a little lower then my natural waist (a couple inches wider) and here are the pieces I cut:

waistband - 30" X 13" (cut 1)
    1st tier - 20.5" X 6" (cut 2)
    2nd tier - 31" X 10" (cut 2)
    3rd tier - 43" X10" (cut 2)

The finished length of my skirt with the waist band folded is 25".

Here are a couple of my skirts:

PLEASE let me know if something doesn't make sense to you or if you have any questions. I found that a couple things (like the waistband) were very hard for me to explain. Have fun, can't wait to see those sew & shows!
    Last edited by arasmama; 04-16-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome sew along Kori! I need one of these

Great instructions. You're inspiring me to try gathering with Lastin again. So, your using a narrowish zig zag? I like how you trim some off when you attach the layers. I often have problems with gathering threads peeking out. That might help.

Thanks!
    ~Heather, mama to 3 great kids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My kids' outgrown clothes (mama made and name brand) are
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Kori. Your instructions were perfect to understand!

Lisa
    wife to Simon and mom to 7 wonderful kids!
    McKrae 13, Westley 11, Grant 9, Leah 7, Elise 5, & Ella 3 and Leeanne born 2/09

Downloads
    Uploads
    YAY I am so thrilled ~I am going to make a Kori skirt today I probably wouldn't be so gungho if she and i weren't similar sizing tho;)

Just another Tara ,wife to BG,mama to Bailee,Makenna,Sully & Sebastian!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great job with the Sew-along, thanks!

Is this skirt something you can do knit only or do you think it would work with wovens?
    ~ Barb ~

mom to 3

My helper....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterNOwensMom
    Awesome sew along Kori! I need one of these

Great instructions. You're inspiring me to try gathering with Lastin again. So, your using a narrowish zig zag? I like how you trim some off when you attach the layers. I often have problems with gathering threads peeking out. That might help.

Thanks!
    Thank you! I do a narroww zig zag so that it is completely on the lastin.
    Last edited by Kori; 07-26-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwire
    Great job with the Sew-along, thanks!

Is this skirt something you can do knit only or do you think it would work with wovens?
    You need a knit waist band and you might want the hips a little looser with a woven. Otherwise it will work with a woven. I've been meaning to do one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot about wanting to try this

Do you top stitch the teirs?
    Erika

mama to 3 (14, 12, & 9 yrs)

ISO fabric with guinea pigs on it -- woven or knit, cartoon or realistic (as long as we can tell what it is), scraps to yardage

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Kori, I look forward to trying this out.
    Chelsie~

Mama to a 14 yr. old boy and 11 yr. old girl

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BugzNBean View Post
    I forgot about wanting to try this

Do you top stitch the teirs?
    I don't top stitch the teirs but the RTW skirt that I copied had top stitched tiers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks fabulous! I'll link one I found for wovens, if that's okay with you -- it has how to measure for different sizes of waist.

Skirt waist calculator

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads
    well I'm so glad this got mentioned in another thread & bumped...I'm gonna have to make me (& my biggest girl) one!
    Melissa
    Previously known as "mdaisy"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    That looks fabulous! I'll link one I found for wovens, if that's okay with you -- it has how to measure for different sizes of waist.

Skirt waist calculator
    thanks! That is a great link for an elastic waist tiered skirt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Kori! I was in the mood to sew today, but had no idea what I wanted to make and now I know I appreciate you taking time to take pics and do a sew-along for us! I completely forgot about this, so thanks for bumping it Erika.
    Faith
    Mom to Two Fantastic Kids

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to see the sew and shows!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kori View Post
    I want to see the sew and shows!
    That's a fair trade I think If I'm brave enough I'll show one, the holidays weren't kind to my hips, roflol!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is great, thank you Kori!

Ula
    Mama to 3 and WAHM of

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yay! I'm gonna have to find some time to make a Kori Skirt! (if I can figure it out with my measurements LOL)
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey dear can you help me with meas for the knit and the woven kori skirt.. I love the woven and want to attempt the knit one... My waist is 26 hips 35.5 I would want it to be knee length or just above ((HUGS))
    ((HUGS))
    Peppermint

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is Lastin? And how does it work?

Thanks Kori!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast