User Tag List

Thread: Boxer Fly sew-along w/a side of silliness

Downloads
    Uploads

Boxer Fly sew-along w/a side of silliness

A couple people asked for a boxer fly sewalong and I needed to make some for Nathan so I snapped some pictures as I went. Disclaimer: This is the way I learned from a Simplicity pattern, I don't claim that it's the best/brightest/most wonderful way, but it works...

Here are the pattern pieces cut and marked. The marks to the right are for sewing the seams and the marks to the left are for topstitching.

Serge (or turn under twice and stitch on the sewing machine) the fly edge of the right and left leg pieces. I've also serged the bottom of each leg and serged the inseam. Turn one leg right-side out and put it inside the other inside out leg.

Sew from the top/waist area to the first dot.

Starting again and leaving the area between the dots unsewn, sew from the second mark, down through the crotch and back up to the other side of the waist.

A closer view.

This is a Simplicity pattern with 5/8" seam allowances so I've trimmed the excess seam allowance and used an overcast stitch on the raw edge.

Turn the boxers right-side out and turn the excess fly area to the left side of the boxers (your right as you're looking at the boxers).

Topstitch from the top of the waist to the first top, which is also where the fly opening begins. Then topstitch the bottom area along the markings.

Look, the escape hatch works!

Put in the elastic, hem and you're done! Curse silently when you realize that you've made these in the size of your girl child instead of the boy child as you had intended. Wonder aloud if anyone would like to buy a lovely pair of 3T baby nay doggie poplin boxers? Also mention that due to your extreme brilliance at cutting and recognizing the difference between a 3T and a size 6, you've got a pair of sailboats cut out in this same size as well.

Take a gratuitous shot of the boxers standing by themselves! Ack, it's too scary!

Bribe girl child with promises of popsicles if only she'll try on the boxers and let you take a picture.

Pose for your three-year old with your hair looking ratty (I'm growing out my bangs and they're slowly driving me insane).
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great sew-along! Too bad they won't fit your son.......I'm sure someone will snap them up. They're cute and good to see the escape hatch works. lol

~Cheryl

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great photos! I think I used that same Simp. pattern to make girls pj boxers a few swaps back. Ummm, weird question. We don't have any real boxers in the house, is the fly opening really that small on RTW ones? I thought it was kinda pointless when I made them but what do I know...all these little girl undies around here
    ~mich, mama to my 4 girls~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cute cute cute!

And exactly how much would a pair of 3T Doggies boxers (and sailboats) sell for... DS#1 is showing interest in using the potty...
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.
    The Mommy to Victoria (2.06.01), Jackson (3.06.03), Aidan (9.26.04) and Grace (07.04.06).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2tori
    And exactly how much would a pair of 3T Doggies boxers (and sailboats) sell for... DS#1 is showing interest in using the potty...
    Woohoo on the potty! How's $10 ppd sound for both boxers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great sewalong Jayme! I love your sense of humor!!!

Thanks.
    - Anne, mama to four sweet girls

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dehart
    Woohoo on the potty! How's $10 ppd sound for both boxers?
    Off to send you some Paypal.
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.
    The Mommy to Victoria (2.06.01), Jackson (3.06.03), Aidan (9.26.04) and Grace (07.04.06).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Off to send you some Paypal.
    Got it, thanks! I haven't put the elastic in the 2nd pair yet, would you like to give me Jack's waist measurement so I can customize them for him?
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll measure him as soon as he wakes from his nap. Thanks.
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! [smilie=bigarmhug[1].gif] I think I get it now, lol! BTW, what simplicity pattern are you using?
    Mama to Megan 10/98, Carina 5/01 and Brendan 6/03

Downloads
    Uploads
    very cool ..thank you!

(a side note for me)
    ](*,) ... why did I just buy ds rtw boxers at Target?!?
    Angie ~ Mama First, Sewing Fanatic Second

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda823s
    BTW, what simplicity pattern are you using?
    It's Simplicity 9958, not sure it's still in print though, I bought it about 5 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's awsome! I am having trouble following, but if I was sewing along I think I would do better. Practical application at its best. lol...

Now all I need is how to add a zipper for mens patchy pants.

Val
    Val
    Partner to the love of my life, Don
    Sewing mama to Alex and Cyan and Logan

The youngest from last year and then the youngest from this year. Logan and Joey at the sew expo... Logan is 13 mos old!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dehart
    Got it, thanks! I haven't put the elastic in the 2nd pair yet, would you like to give me Jack's waist measurement so I can customize them for him?
    Okay he's got an 18.5" waist. Thanks Jayme.
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very funny.
    Amy (aka amynotincali)
    mom of Erica, Rebecca, James, Susanna, Lydia, and Joseph 1/12/08

My sweet baby boy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awwwwww! Those are darling!
    Shecki

L to R: Josiah, Samuel, Annaliese, Paul, Hannah, Jack (aka Furby), Eli, Brianna, Shecki, Zachary

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Boxer Fly sew-along w/a side of silliness

Does anyone know what happened to the photos in this tutorial?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I would guess that the site they were hosted on is no longer active. This tutorial was made into a download. You can find it here: http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloa...?do=file&id=48

~ kelly ~

mom to Alex, Zoe and Jack

my ISO:
    Snoopy Embroidery CDs
    dies for metal snaps to fit an OSDS press & 14/16 metal snaps

Visit Sewing Mamas'
    !
    Find Sewing Mamas on
    !
    Tweet with
    !
    Check out the Sewing Mamas
    !

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much. I am making those and that fly is driving me bananas...