Uploads

Sew-Along: Casserole Tote - in downloads

13x9 Casserole Tote

Materials Needed:
    1 yd 100% cotton woven/quilter outer fabric
    1 yd 100% cotton woven/quilter coordinate fabric or muslin
    1 yd cotton quilt batting
    2 - ½” dowel rods cut to 12” long
    4” sew on Aplix/Velcro/or 3-4 snaps (you need hook side AND loop side or Male and Female parts of snaps)
    and the obvious things you need for sewing - sewing machine, thread, scissors/rotary cutter, ruler, etc.

Dimensions 35.5 x 13.75 when cut on fold (when opened it's 35.5 x 27.5. Deepest part of curve is 3".

CLICK HERE for bigger pics. I can't get my picture open from here (at IL's House).

STEP 1

Cut your 3 fabrics (inside, outside, batting) on the fold as shown.

OPTIONAL STEP (Spoon Pocket):
    Cut piece of fabric (outer or coordinate) 4”x13.5” and 1” piece of each hook and loop (or one set of snaps)
    Fold under fabric to wrong side ¼ inch on 2 long sides and 1 short side.
    Fold remaining short side ½ - ¾ inch and place hook (or male snap) in center.
    Center pocket ½ inch below handle curve and mark where your loop (or female snap) should be placed. Attach loop or snap.
    Attach pocket to outside of tote sewing close to edge of pocket.

You should have 3 pieces like this when opened

STEP 2

Open Fabrics and place batting on wrong side of inner fabric.

Serge inner layer and batting together at handle

Serge outer fabric at handle

Fold over serging to wrong side using serging as seam allowance. Iron/pin/baste* seam allowance.

*Instead of stitching this, I used liquid stitches to hold it in place because I didn’t want to have to line up my stitching later.

Step 3

Place outer fabric and inner fabric wrong sides together.

Sew ¼ inch around all straight edges of fabrics. Do not sew handle space. You can reinforce this by serging or zigzag stitching or leave it raw.

Clip your corners and snip at the inside corners, so you’ll have crisp lines when you turn.

STEP 4: The Handle

Measure ¾ inch from top seam of handle on each side of curve. Sew from mark to mark leaving a space at the top for your dowel.

Insert 12” Dowel into handle. It should just slide right in. Repeat on opposite side.

STEP 5

Sew 4 inches of hook (or male snap part) to INSIDE of one flap ½ from seam.

Sew 4 of loop (or female snap part) to OUTSIDE of opposite flap ½ inch from seam

Your Casserole Tote is complete.

Consider including a serving spoon tucked inside the (optional) pocket if you give this as a gift.

There's a WORD Document that can be downloaded, as well. I did my best on this, so if there are improvements that you make, PLEASE share them here. Anything that makes this easier/prettier would rock.

I've read over it a few times to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Some of the totes coming in the swap are slightly different from these directions because I was experimenting on different ways to finish them.

Enjoy!
    Love and Peace,
    Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    :bow Thank you for a fabulous tutorial!! I know it takes a lot of work to take pictures and write it all up, but we really appreciate it! I really want to try this, it seems like such a great idea and a great gift.
    Sarah
    Daniel and Amelia's mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope all the directions are there for you all! I think I'll be making these for EVERYONE in my family this year ;)

Enjoy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    :happydance Woohoo! Thanks for a great sew-along!

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you very much! I'll have to make several. :bow
    Jun, Mama to Kevin (05/03) and Amanda (03/05)
    My Ebay Feedback

Downloads
    Uploads
    :thankyou2
    ~Lorissa

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is awesome, thanks so much for taking the time to put the SA together, Katie!!!
    ~Jessica
    , single mama to Dillon
    (10) and Lucas
    (6 on 10/24)

~

Dillon is ten years old - 9/18/08

Downloads
    Uploads
    :urock

Thank you!!!
    ~*~Lauren & Kathryn First Day of School 2008~*~

Downloads
    Uploads
    :10:
    Amber: mama to Svea, Rory, and Tait

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Katie.. I know this takes a lot of time and effort

I might be totally overlooking it, but did you post the measurements to cut the big piece on the fold? I see the little #'s on the pic, but I can read them...Yes this will happen to you to ladies.. ahhh the late 30's :sigh:
    Suzanne
    Mom to 4 Awesome Kids,1 Amazing Granddaughter,Wife to a Wonderful DH and Child of the King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are at my IL's house. I will TRY to link to the bigger pictures, but this 'net connection is sssssllllllooooowwww . ;)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The pictures of your sew along aren't showing for me ... I wanna see .... Waaaahhhhhh.
    Sabrina

Happily married to M for 17 yrs
    SAHM to G M & C

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Sew-Along: Casserole Tote

I received one of these as a birthday gift from a dear friend last year- and I LOVE it-- perfect gift!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh the pics aren't showing for me and the download isn't working!! Bummer, this really looked good! Anyone else have it?

Downloads
    Uploads

can't wait to see pictures!
    SAHM to my 2 boys -Myles 4.2008 and Garrett 6.08

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I found the pdf in the patterns area for anyone that wants to know!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool...on my list for gifts this year.

Debbie

Christopher is here! June 10, 2010
    Weighed 7lb 6oz, 21 in long.
    Totally adorable!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Sew-Along: Casserole Tote - in downloads

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!