User Tag List

Thread: How to sew a basketweave block

Downloads
    Uploads

How to sew a basketweave block

Here's how to sew a basket weave quilt block with an inset center square. It looks harder than it is. Promise.

You'll need 3 fabrics. I used white for the background (A) and gray and aqua for the colored fabrics (B and C).

If you want a 7.5" finished block, you will need to cut:
    From A: (9) 2" squares
    From B: (2) 2" squares, (2) 2"x5" rectangles
    From C: (2) 2" squares, (2) 2"x5" rectangles

If you'd like to make a 10" finished block, you will need to cut:
    From A: (9) 2.5" squares
    From B: (2) 2.5" squares, (2) 2.5"x6.5" rectangles
    From C: (2) 2.5" squares, (2) 2.5"x6.5" rectangles

If you lay out all of the pieces in approximately the place they're going to go, it will look like this:

The first thing that we are going to do is assemble the four corner units. This block is made of four corner units that spiral around the inset center. Two will have B for the large piece and C for the small piece, and two will have C for the large piece and B for the small piece. The pieces for them look like this:

We start by sewing together the three little squares. I just sew all four sets at one using chain piecing as much as possible. Then I go to the ironing board and press them. Press all fabrics towards the dark. This will matter later on.

Here's another picture of the block layout with those four pieces (2 of ABA and 2 of ACA) assembled.

Next we sew the rectangles onto the ACA or ABA pieces. Again, press towards the dark. After we do that, our block looks like this:

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How to sew a basketweave block

Now, we need to join those blocks around the center square. I start with the upper left corner unit. You want to line up the center square with the bottom of this unit. Start sewing about 1/2" to 3/4" down so that you will have room to sew a final seam at the end. You don't want to start sewing closer than that to the bottom because it makes it really difficult to sew the final seam.

I pulled my thread tail to the side here so that you can hopefully see where I started sewing.

At this point, I finger press that seam back towards the dark. It will look like this. I will use the iron at the end, but fingerpressing allows you to sew the rest of this block without another trip to the ironing board.

Now, we're going to sew on the lower lefthand block. Finger press towards the dark when you're finished.

Now we do the lower righthand block. Same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

At this point, you can see on the top left corner of the center square that it is not fully attached. We need to insert that upper righthand block.

Fold down the upper lefthand block and sew in the upper righthand block along that seam.

Fold back up the upper lefthand block and sew it in place. Hooray! The block is pieced.

At this point, you'll have kind of a wonky looking thing. Don't worry. Pressing is a miracle worker.

And the back:

You did it!
    Last edited by Vanessa; 02-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm so glad you posted the tutorial @Vanessa I'm wanting to give this a try soon!
    Tera
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Mom to Madelyn, Harley, Emily and Samuel!

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice! Thanks!
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you. i looks so nice but i must admit i'm a wee bit scared.

Downloads
    Uploads

@kpfjpf Don't be scared. It really isn't that tricky once you're into it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Such a great post! I am inspired to do one of these soon after making my other projects. Thanks a lot for this. You're awesome!