Here's how to sew a basket weave quilt block with an inset center square. It looks harder than it is. Promise.

You'll need 3 fabrics. I used white for the background (A) and gray and aqua for the colored fabrics (B and C).

If you want a 7.5" finished block, you will need to cut:
From A: (9) 2" squares
From B: (2) 2" squares, (2) 2"x5" rectangles
From C: (2) 2" squares, (2) 2"x5" rectangles

If you'd like to make a 10" finished block, you will need to cut:
From A: (9) 2.5" squares
From B: (2) 2.5" squares, (2) 2.5"x6.5" rectangles
From C: (2) 2.5" squares, (2) 2.5"x6.5" rectangles

If you lay out all of the pieces in approximately the place they're going to go, it will look like this:

The first thing that we are going to do is assemble the four corner units. This block is made of four corner units that spiral around the inset center. Two will have B for the large piece and C for the small piece, and two will have C for the large piece and B for the small piece. The pieces for them look like this:

We start by sewing together the three little squares. I just sew all four sets at one using chain piecing as much as possible. Then I go to the ironing board and press them. Press all fabrics towards the dark. This will matter later on.

Here's another picture of the block layout with those four pieces (2 of ABA and 2 of ACA) assembled.

Next we sew the rectangles onto the ACA or ABA pieces. Again, press towards the dark. After we do that, our block looks like this: