User Tag List

Thread: An upcycling tutorial

Downloads
    Uploads

An upcycling tutorial

I have upcycled a bit over the years, so I thought I would write this up for those who haven't tried doing this yet.

There are a few different ways you can approach upcycling garments. You can either use it as straight "fabric" where you aren't using any existing seams or finishing or you can try to use some of the existing garment.

This is tutorial is for using the existing garments finished seams.

First of all you need to figure out what seams you are going to keep, and if they will fit your child. My DD is 8, so the necklines usually will work for her. I can also use sleeves if they aren't too roomy, as well. Using the ends of the sleeves (from the wrist up) works because I cut the arm pattern before it gets too wide at the adult top near the shoulder.

In upcycling pants, I usually keep the outer seams, but if there is a fly zipper you can utilize that, too.

Here is an example of upcycling a dress and some french terry pants into an outfit for my DD:

The dress is too big and the pants are too short, so I decided to combine them into a comfy outfit for the girl child.

Now, this doesn't necessarily save a ton of time, but sometimes it does.  I did utilize the neckline and shoulder seams of the top.  That time saving was soaked up by picking out the waistline of the pants so I could reuse the ribbing.

Win some, lose some!

Top:

First off, I cut the side seams of the top and laid out my pattern.  As I was using the shoulder seam, I didn't take into account the seam allowance on the shoulders when cutting that out.  

Next I cut out my arm pieces.  As this was a short-sleeved dress I didn't have enough room to cut a full sleeve.  I had to patch them up, but I used the existing rolled hem as the edging on the sleeve.

Now, I had to fix up the neck line, so it would not be gaping.  I sewed it up to where she could still get it over her head.  Then, I changed out the plain buttons to ones that had more "personality".

Lastly, a rhinestone appliqué.

Bottom:

On this one, I kept the side seams and cut the inside seam.  Then I cut it off the waist, but saving the ribbing from getting cut.  Later, I picked off the knit from the ribbing.

I laid the pieces out and cut them out.  Again, since I was using the hem on the pants, I took that into account when laying out my pattern pieces.

Next, I sewed up the crotch seam and then the inseam.  

Once I had the ribbing free of the knit (lots of seam ripper usage), I cut it in the back to a length that would fit her waist.  

I sewed that back up. I measured elastic that would fit her waist, sewed the ends together and sandwiched them between the ribbing. Lastly, I attached the ribbing to the bottom.  My serger was not happy, but we got through it.  Barely.

The finishing touch is the horseshoes, of course.

All done and quite cute!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Stacy
    WOHM to 2 little urchins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: An upcycling tutorial

I love it! Thanks for the tutorial.
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice

Downloads
    Uploads

That is amazing work!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's adorable Stacy!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice to see how someone else does it, as I have always just sort of made it up as I go along!
    Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

That is too adorable!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

those are fabulous
    Linda

Sewing and Scrapbooking Mum to:

Simon 30 Navy Sailor in Virginia

Cathleen 21 college student
    John-Paul in heaven (6/05)
    Annabelle 15 high school student
    Benedict in heaven (7/09)

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in awe! How do you just look at a piece of clothing and do this?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ElioraImmanuel View Post
    I am in awe! How do you just look at a piece of clothing and do this?!
    A lot of times you need to go with the "bones" of the garment to change it up. After awhile it is easy to see what you CAN do with it.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Stacy
    WOHM to 2 little urchins