A free pattern and photo tutorial from thediymommy for a princess dress to fit girls age approximately 2-5 years old.

The pattern is based on a peasant top with a skirt attached, with princess-y details like a faux-laced bodice and ruffles. It fits wide and uses elastic in the neckline, being designed to fit a child over a number of years of dressing up. I made it for my 95ish cm three-year old and it is really wide, but once the neckline is gathered in with elastic, it fits fine and is easy to get on and off.

I used blue and gold satin, plus a semi-sheer printed jersey for the peplum.

The photos and instructions are easy to follow. An uncomplicated pattern that can be embellished as desired. I would recommend it for beginners on up.

I left off the rose detail, wish I had taken more account of seam allowances when sewing on my faux-lacing ribbon (I don't like that the ends are now sewn into the neckline), sewed the sleeve elastic to the seam attaching the ruffle to the sleeve (slight design change), and added a peplum at the waist instead of the ruffle suggested.

I used the suggestions for a peplum from Rae Gun Ramblings. My circles were more like rounded squares, still with the 20" diameter suggested, and that size seems just right for this dress. I did a bit of hand-gathering on the underside of each peplum piece, because the fabric is a little heavy and it seemed to weigh down the main skirt and be a bit too long.