Uploads

Burda BurdaStyle 6038 Wiesn Dirndl

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    Burda
    Pattern Name/Number
    BurdaStyle 6038 Wiesn Dirndl
    Pattern Description
    Pattern for German-style folk costume, dress, blouse, and apron. Link here: http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_st...s/wiesn-dirndl
    Which view and size did you make?
    Dress and Blouse, size 38
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    No
    If not, why?
    The photos of the blouse do not show the lace trim that is used in the pattern. They do show an elastic-gathered sleeve, but this isn't mentioned in the pattern. I improvised lace trim and an elastic casing at the sleeve hem, so my blouse doesn't specifically look like the picture or like it would if I had followed the instructions exactly!

Also, I chose to pleat the whole skirt, rather than just pleating the front and gathering the back, so another deviation from the photo/pattern design.
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    No
    If not, why?
    As mentioned above, there are details included in the blouse pattern that aren't included in the sample garments in the photos.

The pattern is in English, but the German word for piping (Paspelband) is used in the notions list.

Maybe this is just my computer, but the markings for inches, eg 6", came out incorrectly, which is OK once you realize what it's suppose to mean, but still annoying.

I had a hard time following what was supposed to happen with the attachment of the piping strip to the bodice and ended up just winging it.

The word 'flip' is used several times without specifying whether things should be turned inside or out, right or left, to the right side or wrong side...

The instructions for the blouse in particular contained a few strange sentences that I didn't know what to make of. Specifically, "ease the shoulder edges on the back by slightly pulling or pushing one edge onto the other along the seam." What does that mean?! And, "Cut the seam allowance along the neckline." Does that mean notch it? Clip it? Remove it? Say what?
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    In the end, the dress and blouse fit and fit together. But getting these was a bit of a runaround. The drawings weren't super clear and the instructions were a bit funny.

And despite my careful measuring and cutting, my shoulder seams in the facing didn't match my the shoulder seams in the bodice exterior. Pattern error? User error? Who knows...

A small annoyance is that the pattern markings for gathering at the neckline and sleeves of the blouse are outside the seam allowance, so when the blouse was finished, you could still see my little dots.
    Fabric used
    Linen-look viscose for the bodice, printed cotton for the skirt, loose-weave but still weirdly stiff cotton for the blouse
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    I shortened the whole skirt to tea-type length, rather that the ankle length specified in the pattern.

Based on my experience, I would buy more fabric for the bodice and blouse than the pattern states. I should have been able to get away with .75 meter for the bodice and .9 meter for the blouse, but I needed the entire meter I had for the bodice and I had to cut the sleeves for the blouse on the cross grain.

I didn't assemble the top of the dress as instructed. I couldn't figure out what was supposed to happen in terms of the piping strip being sewn to the right side of the bodice and then enclosed. I ended up just assembling the bodice and facing separately and then sewing them, right sides together, and turning right-side out through the shoulder seam. This left my side seams exposed, but that's not so bad. Next time, depending on fabric used, I might skip the piping entirely.

Also next time, I would remember to lengthen the pattern pieces before I cut them out! Doh! The bodice is a little bit shorter in the waist than I would like. I made up for this a bit by using a narrower seam allowance at the shoulders and the waist. I did lengthen the blouse pieces, but should have done so a little more - it was riding up a bit higher than I would have liked while being worn.

I also pleated the whole skirt to fit the bodice (instead of gathering it at the back) and pretty much ignored the instructions for sewing the bodice to the skirt. Which in the end may have contributed to the front center pleat being slightly off, but the dress will be worn with an apron, so I am OK with it.

I should also point out that, having taken a keen interest in the styling and details of dirndls (both on other people and in the shops) this Oktoberfest season, the smocking/gathering that's used for the back of the skirt is not normal in adult dirndls, only sometimes for little girls. And the insides of the bodices are usually fully lined, not just partially faced like this one is.
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    Yes
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    No
    Any additional comments
    I would sew this pattern again because I am cheap and wouldn't want to buy another one. But I wouldn't necessarily buy it again.

I wouldn't recommend using this pattern unless you are a fairly experienced or confident seamstress. The instructions are confusing and the techniques are fiddly. So you either need the patience to work with them or the confidence (is that the right word?!) to find another way of making the pattern work.
    Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
    Last edited by quartercentury; 09-26-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Burda BurdaStyle 6038 Wiesn Dirndl

Just a little update to say that I also sewed up the apron, in a silky embroidered poly fabric. Shortened to match the length of the skirt I used and deviated slightly from the instructions for the ends of the ties, to make them look like what I have seen on RTW dirndl aprons.
    Expat Repatriating mama to two three!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New baby born at home, April 2014
    (Disclaimer: He's bigger than that now)