I used to think that my two options were to bind in the round without using my binder attachment or binding in the flat with the bulky seam at the shoulder. I've been working this out in my head for awhile, and I finally figured out how to do it, so I thought I would share.

This was difficult to explain, so if any of this isn't clear, let me know.

First, begin binding (using your coverstitch and binder attachment) at the back and continue around, stopping an inch or two short of where you began.

Now, get out your seam ripper and rip your stitches until you have two free tails of binding and the beginning and end are even with the fabric (not going off the edge).

Place the edges of your binding along the unbound part that you left and mark where they overlap. (I used pins.)

Open the binding and place it right sides together, being sure not to get it twisted. Sew along the line you marked.

Trim the excess binding

Finger press the seam allowances on the binding open.

Go to the iron and iron your binding folds back in place. (I used small pieces of steam a seam to secure it in place.)

Go back to your coverstitch machine and stitch in place, overlapping both ends. . .maybe you will do a better job than I did of lining up your stitches ;)