User Tag List

Thread: Simple Shirt

Downloads
    Uploads

Simple Shirt

This tutorial is for a simple shirt, there is no pattern for this. If you have questions, feel I should cover something in more detail or have suggestions, please let me know

Thanks for looking and I hope you love these as much as I do.

1) Decide on how much fabric you will use, depending on the size needed. I wear an XL shirt and use between 1 yard and 1 1/2 yards at full width. I do prefer 1 1/2 yards, so I have more length.

2) Using your favorite cutting tools/method, cut straight across your fabric, if necessary, to obtain the yardage needed.

3) Fold fabric in half width wise

4) Match your outter edges, slide your fingers from the outter edges to the center- and pull it tight.

5) Cutting the head opening- this cut is made in the center of the fabric, after matching your edges and sliding your fingers to the center- this is where you will cut. Again, using your favorite cutting method/tools, measure between 7 and 9 inches the width- (side to side, with the corner as the center of the triangle. I slightly round the cut, as I don't care for it straight across, just be careful not to add too much of a "dip" in your cut, because otherwise your opening will be *very* large

(slightly curved)

6) After cutting, unfold the fabric. Here is your opening and the left over piece- this can be used to make a bias tape/binding or save for another project- OR, see below for another use

7) Serge around the opening as well as all outter edges, unless you're going to use binding/bias tape, FOE or another method of finishing the edge. I do slightly round the corners, I feel it makes it easier to turn and top stitch them later on.

*slightly rounded corner*

(serged opening and egdes)

8) Time do the hem! Feel free to finish the edges however you'd like. This is how I do them, but the possibilities don't end here! You could- flip the serged/raw edge over and topstitch.....but I prefer to flip it again, to keep hide the serged edges. Feel free to press at this point. I don't...but you could.

*corners*
    flip twice (or once- depending on what you choose). go to the corner, flip twice- be sure to cover the end of the previous edge in your flip- this will create the corner.

9) Top stitch all edges

You're finally done! Lokk at your pretty hem!

10) Finishing the opening. Again, I flipped and topstitched. If you use this method- make sure you keep the serged edge tucked as tight as possible, against the inside edge. I stitch *very* close to the edge for this part. IF this has any area that flips slightly or sits a bit different (or anything else!) it seems less likely to do so, using this method. Be sure to follow the curve of the opening, as opposed to attempting to sew straight, this will prevent puckering.

All done

That's it!!....or is it??

There are a few optional steps after this- ones I do use myself.

1) I either seam a very small section a few inches up on each side of the outter edge. This creates a kind of "sleeve"

2) Add a fabric covered elastic (using the fabric left over above) Tack/Serge it to either side of the "front" of the shirt.

3) Add a snap (or a few) again- to the outter edges of the front of the shirt. These will be snapped at your back. I put them a few inches up from the bottom corners

4) Add snaps or ties to outter edges.

Ways to wear!

Tie the front around your back, put the back down over it

Tie front sides to back sides

Open

Slightly tucking the front edges to the back
    Last edited by Mamaof3; 02-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.