Uploads

--- OTHER --- thetraintocrazy.com 'Go To Dress'

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    --- OTHER ---
    Pattern Name/Number
    thetraintocrazy.com 'Go To Dress'
    Pattern Description
    Long sleeved (mock layered) knit dress for girls, with elastic empire waistline, sizes 12-18 months up to 5
    Which view and size did you make?
    size 18-24
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    -
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    OK, ETA, yes easy to follow instructions, BUT on the pattern there are dots on the neckline to indicate where you should sew your gathering stitches. But two sets of dots. Marked "1" and "2" but no reference to these in the instructions that I could find. I just chose the furthest-from-the-middle dot to use as my mark. And you must must must keep an eye on how much you are gathering and how long you cut your binding/neckline piece. I can see it being very easy to accidentally make the neckline too tight to go over a little person's head.
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    Pattern instructs to create a casing out of rib knit on the inside of the dress, to hold elastic for the waistline. Maybe it's just me and my rib knit, but I wasn't keen on this method. Turned out a bit crooked. This might be just the place for elastic shirring or elastic thread in the bobbin, but I have never done this before. Might try it next time
    Fabric used
    Mid-weight jersey for body of dress, lightweight jersey for sleeves, super crazy stretchy rib knit for waist casing
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    See above about the waist line.
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    Yes
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    Yes
    Any additional comments
    I cut size 18-24 months, which is a good fit for my 19 month old in the body, but could use a bit longer sleeves. I would say it runs a little smaller than the RTW 18-24 clothes that we have.

Also, the pattern says you need 3/4 yard of fabric for a size 5 dress. That may be so if you cut your sleeves and body from the same fabric, but with this pattern you will almost certainly want to use different fabrics. In that case, I would count on *a minimum* of 1/2 yard for your main fabric and *a minimum* of 1/4 yard for the sleeves. The pattern piece for the body in size 18-24 is about 18" and the sleeves about 10".
    Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
    Last edited by quartercentury; 09-25-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: more detail about the neckline as I am thinking about making another dress...