User Tag List

Thread: Alteration for Otto 3/09 shorts "Bert"

Downloads
    Uploads

Alteration for Otto 3/09 shorts "Bert"

If you have made or seen the Bert shorts from Ottobre 3/09, then you have probably noticed a little puckering at the crotch. At first, I thought this was user error, and I forgot about it. I sized the pattern up the next year, and I didn't pay much attention to it. This year, I finally put together that the pattern is off just a tiny bit, and that causes the puckers. There is just too much fabric in the crotch, and I needed a way to take away the extra fabric. I noticed that the loafer jeans from 1/08 do not have this problem. This alteration is based on those jeans.

Step 1: Alter your pattern. The solid pink line is the original pattern line. The dotted pink line represents the seam allowance for the original pattern. The blue line represents the altered cut line. The far left blue line (shown as marker over pen) is the new center front line.

Step 2: Here is the pattern after it is cut. This pattern piece now includes a 3/8" seam allowance.

Step 3: Cut out your two front pieces. This is shown with the original Bert pattern under it. This alteration is not huge, but it will make a big difference.

Step 4 (not pictured): You will now need to measure your finished pants before you cut your waistband. You will have taken away a little over 1/2" from the waist, and your waistband will be too long if you do not cut it a little shorter.

Before:

After:
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Alteration for Otto 3/09 shorts "Bert"

thanks! I'm going to be making Ben some "bert" pants in the next couple of weeks, this should help!
    Misty
    Mama to Savana Banana(9) an Benny Bean (5)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! I just made some Bert pants and sure enough they have that extra bit in front. I'll have to alter my pattern a bit.
    Laura

Christine 1/5/2002, Nicole 5/13/2003,
    Everett 4/24/2009, Alister 9/3/2010
    Moira and Giselle 10/24/2013!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to remember this alteration when I finally unearth my Ottos from the move. Thanks!
    Maria, loving navy wife, mom to growing preemie ds (11/04), a hurricane in disguise dd (8/09) and bonus ds (11/12).

Downloads
    Uploads

I printed this to put into the magazine I ordered yesterday. What perfect timing, thank you.