Uploads

Amy Butler Liverpool

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    Amy Butler
    Pattern Name/Number
    Liverpool
    Pattern Description
    Fitted button down shirt with sleeve and length variations (shirt/tunic/dress)
    Which view and size did you make?
    Size small, 3/4 sleeves, tunic length
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    No
    If not, why?
    Left off back tie, didn't use covered buttons as suggested, and my finished cuffs don't seem like the ones in the photos
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    -
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    This is a really "hand hold-y" pattern, walking you through every step, reminders to backstitch and then a glossary which includes terms like backstitch and seam ripper - this makes it good for a beginner I think.

But sometimes the "hand holding" takes you to places you might not want to go (or at least I didn't), like backstitching to exposed finish seams/hems.

I did not like that the pattern is printed on way flimsy tissue paper. Boo.

I did not like the absence of a line drawing of the finished product. I really appreciate and often refer to those small scale drawing in the Otto patterns, for example. But here, there were only photos and illustrations of the steps along the way. I found this particularly challenging when making the cuffs, as they are unlike any I have seen (never mind sewn!) before, but I couldn't tell from the photo how the finished product was supposed to look exactly.

Fabric used
    cotton lawn
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    The shirt is very very fitted. I have a 33" bust these days, which is just below the size Small measurement. I still had to let the back darts out a little when I was done to avoid chest gaping and allow a little more ease of movement across the back.

I lengthened at the waist by about 2", so ended up cutting off a fair amount of excess fabric at the hem.

When attaching the placket to the front panels, the seam allowance given (as for the whole pattern) is 1/2". But if you use a 1/2" seam here, the seam shows when you flip the placket to the right side and topstitch in place. So next time I would use a smaller SA here. *BUT* (as I discovered much to my chagrin) this makes the collar not quite fit around the neckline, so take this into account when tinkering with placket seam allowances!

The collar SAs are also 1/2" and no recommendation given to trim or clip them. Too much bulk there, so I would definitely recommend trimming the collar seam allowances. The pattern piece for the collar makes it seem way long and pointy, like a costume piece almost. But once you take the 1/2" SA into account, it's actually a very nice shape.

And I didn't quite get the cuffs. I followed all the instructions and they look OK, but they seem oddly loose for a shirt that is otherwise quite fitted. Measurements are given for where to sew the cuff's button that don't add up (eg two inches from button loop, but this makes the cuff way too tight around the wrist/forearm)
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    Yes
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    Yes
    Any additional comments
    SNS/photos to follow!

I had a crazy hard time with the collar on this, but knowing what I know now, I will tackle it again in the future. I also think I would alter the cuff style next time, especially for a long sleeve style.
    Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
    Last edited by quartercentury; 09-08-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: more detail and SNS link added