User Tag List

Thread: Design 09 Violet Rose Tunic

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 09 Violet Rose Tunic

Size 34-52 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 09 Violet Rose Tunic

Wasn't sure how this pattern would look on me since I'm so full busted. Made size 52 without adjustment and it is a great fit! Very comfortable. Had a little trouble with my shirring but that's just my fault. Also had to get my patterns back out to figure out which way was up on the front/back pieces so be sure to mark those some way if you decide to make this. I plan to make more of these next spring and maybe get a little funky with mixing/matching the prints. This time the fabric is Chez Ami rib knit.

SAHM to D 4-01 and Izzy 2-06.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ranger
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Ruby June

Downloads
    Uploads

I lengthened the sleeves, but ended up not lengthening them enough, so I added a cuff.
    The pattern comes together easily enough, but I can never get stitching in the ditch to keep a facing in place, so I ended up topstitching it after I tried stitching in the ditch. Next time I think I'd just bind the neck line.
    I'm not entirely convinced that this is flattering on me. I guess I just don't think having gathering on a bodice above the bust works for me. Just makes my boobs look saggier, I think.
    Mama to Zola ('07) and Felix('09)
    My sewing blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had this cut out, sitting on the cupboard for a couple of weeks, not quite game to make a start on my first ottobre pattern. Still, it had to be made up eventually, and today was as good as ever.

This is my first try at this pattern, sort of a tester. The fabric is a lovely medium weight cotton knit I bought from an ebay seller. You will remember it from an A-line tunic I made a while back. This is the last of it, so I am glad its wearable.

Having made it once, I can say that the body is a beautiful fit for me, but it is too big under the arms and across the shoulders/neck. Next one I plan to trace off the next size down, but maintain this body size. It will just have a few extra gathers along the bodice, which won't hurt.

ottobre 5-2011 design 9 - blue tie dye 001 by Datcat, on Flickr

Dani - Mum to a beautiful daughter, handsome son, and sadly missed angel Isabeau

- The barefoot seamstress ......smelling vaguely of mothballs and lavender, and craving chocolate badly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well this is my second take on this design, and while the fit is better, I really think it can come down another size in the yoke and shoulders. I didn't realise I was so narrow through the shoulders and back .... oh well, you discover these things when you sew. I really do need to invest in a dressmakers dummy in my size.

Ottobre 5/2011 - Design 9 Violet rose.

pink floral top by Datcat, on Flickr

Dani - Mum to a beautiful daughter, handsome son, and sadly missed angel Isabeau

- The barefoot seamstress ......smelling vaguely of mothballs and lavender, and craving chocolate badly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Z (9) Re: Design 09 Violet Rose Tunic

This is the third incarnation of this top, and I think I might have enough now. this one I left off the seam allowances from the bodice, only used one layer on the bodice, and did binding on the neckline. Oh, and I used the gorgeous hand dyed stella from Lisa at Crafty Mamas.

Violet Rose by Datcat, on Flickr

I think the lack of bulk on the bodice by eliminating the facing layer and binding the neckline instead, really benefits the top. I have ended up with it a tiny smidge tight on the arms and sleeve, but its a firm stretchy fabric, so it doesn't bother me.

I am really happy that despite being absolutely dying with this cold, I have had a series of successes with my sewing.