User Tag List

View Poll Results: How useful is this review?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent!

1 100.00%
  • Very Helpful

0 0%
  • Helpful

0 0%
  • Needs More Info

0 0%
  • Unclear

0 0%

Thread: Amy Butler Modern Diaper Bag

Downloads
    Uploads

Amy Butler Modern Diaper Bag

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    Amy Butler
    Pattern Name/Number
    Modern Diaper Bag
    Pattern Description
    Snap closure diaper bag with pockets from Little Stitches for Little Ones.
    Which view and size did you make?
    Only one view/size.
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    No
    If not, why?
    The original bag is big enough to carry hockey equipment, so I cut down the size of the bag considerably. Also after becoming seriously frustrated with the instructions I scrapped 'em and did the bag my way.
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    No
    If not, why?
    Amy Butler is a beautiful fabric designer, but she seriously has no business designing patterns. The wording is awkward and confusing at best. There are zero pictures to use for reference. This made the inside of the bag especially difficult to visualize and construct.
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    I really liked the shape of the outside of the bag. The rest, who knows, I couldnt decipher the instructions to construct the inside and again, there were zero pictures of the inside to use for reference.
    Fabric used
    decor weight cotton
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    I scrapped the entire inside of the bag. I ended up adding my own elastic topped pocket to hold diapers and the like as well as a zippered pocket and a place for a cell, pen and keys to the inside. On the outside I added two elastic topped bottle pockets, one on each side of the bag. I also couldnt for the life of me imagine turning the entire (heavily interfaced) bag through a 1.5" opening without trapping the handles if I made the bag according to instructions. So again I modified. I left a gap in the bottom of the bag about 5" wide and turned the bag through there, sewing shut after I turned. I also used d rings to attach the handles of the bag.
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    Yes
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    No
    Any additional comments
    I probably will make this bag again, because I am always glutton for punishment. This one was a gift for a friend. Id like to make one for myself, but I will not bother with Amy's instructions at all. I would not recommend this pattern to anyone who doesnt have some knowledge of bag construction or who frustrates easily. This is not a bag to make your first!
    Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
    Last edited by NthnButMoonshine; 02-17-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added SNS link.