User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalloped edge on knits - in DL

Downloads
    Uploads

Scalloped edge on knits - in DL

Step 1: Using a Dritz Ezy-Hem or seam gauge, turn hem under 1/4 inch. If you are using a lightweight knit, you will most likely need to use starch or extra water to hold it in place. I wouldn't use pins or wondertape to hold the hem in place.

Step 2: Set your sewing machine to the blind hem stitch. This is a Singer 500A, and I had it set on the widest stitch length. Please refer to your manual for specifics for your machine. This technique may also be called a shell edge in your manual.

Step 3: Start sewing with your fabric on the inside of your machine. You will sew the straight stitches on the fabric, but the point of the zig-zag will go off the fabric. Eyeball where your fabric should go. Do not backstitch.

Step 4: Make sure that the point of the triangle goes off the edge of the fabric. It will not scallop if you sew on the fabric.

Step 5: Continue sewing in this manner, and go slow. Do not backstitch at the end, but leave a long thread tail.

Step 6: Tie a knot at both ends to secure your stitches.

Step 7: Most likely your fabric will be a little wonky after sewing. Iron hem.

Finished view front:

back:

Step 8: Finish garment as instructed.

Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scalloped edge on knits

Awesome! Thanks for the tute. I had no idea it would be that easy!
    Sarah -- mama of Owen - 5.05 & Elsie - 2.14.08

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool! Great tute.

Heidi - SAHM Mamma to Toad (DD May 2008), Bean (DS Nov 2010) and Suprise #3 (DS Due April 2012) and loving partner to Lucky (since 2004)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sjane View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the tute. I had no idea it would be that easy!
    Ditto! Thanks, gotta try it now!
    Mil

Third generation sewer, but still striving to be even nearly as good as them!

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay maybe even I could do that. Thanks Mel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris

SveetaGirl Creations

Downloads
    Uploads

awesome tute, and it looks so simple, i'll definately try it at some point :-)
    Sarah

Wife to John & mommy to princesses Faith & Olivia

Downloads
    Uploads

Mel...thank you! What a great tutorial!

Isabel

Downloads
    Uploads

this is awesome!! i could see myself using this on the edge of a new camisole for myself. so great!!!
    neeley

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!!! Awesome tute!
    Mirza
    Mommy to three kids, DS (2002), DD (2003), and DD (2007)

Downloads
    Uploads

Nicely done, I had no idea it was that simple.
    Thanks for the tutorial!

Want to unload your Otto 2/12? Let me know

Stash Game Running Totals: 770 points/ 77 yards sewn

Downloads
    Uploads

Love this! It looks so great on your neckline above. Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I also like your vintage machine. I'm a sucker for old machines and have 5 of them

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Scalloped edge on knits - in DL

You make it look easy. I will have to try this soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I can't wait to try this!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh that is adorable! And your singer is older than mine so I have hope I can actually do this on my machine! THanks!
    Kathy
    mama to E and P

My blog

Downloads
    Uploads

that looks very simple, Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!!
    Cathi
    Mum to Finn, aged 8 & Jordan (girl) aged 12
    ISO: Any Oilily fabrics

SG Points:

Jordan at her primary school graduation

Downloads
    Uploads

Cute! I'm going to have to use this technique on a set of jammies for my daughter.
    *Jayme*
    Working Mom to Riley and Ashton, wife to Randy
    FurMom to Max

Ashton and Max

Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to have try it.... I also love the shirt, I am going to have to find it!

Downloads
    Uploads

This is great! My daughter as a few RTW items with hems like this and I was wondering how to do it!
    Megan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast