User Tag List

Thread: Design 19 button-band t-shirt

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 19 button-band t-shirt

Size 98-140 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 19 button-band t-shirt

Made this with a rib knit for the main and interlock for the solid.
    This is a size 98 for my daughter who is 3 1/2 years old and currently in size 3T.

I ironed stabilizer to the back where you sew the "band" onto. I also did not fold up and hem it on the bottom - I just did a rolled hem. If I did this shirt again - and I probably will I will read up a little more on the correct length for the neck band. They do have a formula in the Otto books, but mine seems just a little wonky - meaning it was probably too big.
    Fun and easy though
    SAHM mom to Curren, Ellie, Aiden, and Rylen
    Army wife to my wonderful soldier

Downloads
    Uploads

I used a really thin, stretchy knit (not the best choice) for the main fabric. The weight of the button band is pulling the front forward and out a little bit because of how light weight the print is. It's a cute pattern though, with the button bands adding a special little something to what otherwise would be a straight forward t-shirt. I made a 104 and the sizing is right on.

Ice Cream button-band T-shirt by beach_mom_3, on Flickr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

The front placket directions totally stymied me and I don't think I've done it properly once, but other than that I LOVE this pattern. It has a slim fit that is perfect on DD and the gathering and buttons keep it from being dull. This has already become a go-to pattern for us.

Last edited by jennie2; 03-30-2011 at 04:43 AM.
    Sewing, running, and yoga loving mom DS#1 (6) , DD (5), and DS#2 (3).

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a sz 98. I had epic FAIL on this top x2, both with a super stretchy knit, on trying to get that button band attached and looking reasonably nice at all. I threw away the first top totally a few months ago and tried again today. The first shirt front went in the trash. I did my own modification on the next round:

I cut the whole shirt on the fold but marked where the stitching line would have been. I sewed on the stitching line, which in effect created a huge dart in the front. Then I gathered that up (still not cut). So I never cut the front of the shirt under the band but did gather it. I created the "band" out of a separate piece, folded under the raw edges and topstitched it on the shirt. I trimmed the back where the "dart" was to reduce bulk. So I have a faux button band on there.

I used FOE on the neckline and sleeve edges.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am doing this pattern for the first time and I find the placket instructions to be lacking. Granted I have never done a placket of any kind but I can't make heads or tails of the instructions:-( I am thinking the next time I will sew the short end on first and then do the sides. And I don't really get what they are saying for the wrist bands either but I made it up and it looks alright. Also confused as to why there was no length for the neckline....glad someone mentioned that it was in a formula somewhere.

I really love the look of this top and hope I can figure it out and make it well consistently.
    ISO Farbenmix Adelinde skirt pattern, Dear Stella pink horses, Megan Nielsen Maternity patterns please!!

K, happy sewin mama to my micropreemie quadruplets...little miracle babies turned crazy toddlers over night

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my first attempt at this shirt. I made a 104 according to my dd's measurements. It just fits her with no room to grow. Definitely needs to be a bit looser next time. The placket instructions were very mind boggling. It is a cute shrt though!

Downloads
    Uploads

My second attempt at this shirt was MUCH better. I sized up the shirt just a bit on the sides and am happier with the fit. It does seem to still be a bit snug under the arms though. I took pictures of the way I sewed the placket on and it is in the downloads...
    http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=153457
    I also cut a strip of fabric double the width of the neckline. I sewed a rolled hem on one edge and gathered the other edge. I attached this to the neckline before putting on the neckband. All the hems were lettuced edged in this one. I thought this changed up the shirt a bit for a different ruffle look. . I also made the neckline not quite so fitted on this shirt. Dd loves her new shirt with ruffles!
    Last edited by limegreenvw; 02-08-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

My daughter loves this shirt, fits her perfect and I can see myself making this again into a short sleeve for this summer! Just what I wanted for the stripes!

Michelle
    Wife to Mark

Mommy to my Dramatic Rachael, Crazy Jared, and Sweet Emily!

Sew many ideas, sew little time!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ice cream button band tee from 1/11. Great slim fitting pattern.

What I did for the placket on the front was just cut out two plackets and sewed them right sides together, turned it right side out, and topstitched it in place on top of the gathers. Worked pretty good, but it's a little hard to see the gathers, so might try to do it the "right" way next time.
    Mama to Zola ('07) and Felix('09)
    My sewing blog: