User Tag List

Thread: Super clean V-neck - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Super clean V-neck - in downloads

While sewing the Mamu Deborah (which has horrible instructions) I came up with a nice way to do v-necks. I wanted to share

First pin the front body piece to the back body piece, right sides together, at the shoulders. Make sure to use something to stabilize the shoulder seams - I used lastin. Sew the shoulder seams.

V-neck Tutorial #1 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Now take the piece that will be the neckband and iron it in half. This really helps with lining things up later so don't skip it

Note: We will be overlapping the neckband by so when calculating how big to make the neckband add 2" (or by the amount you overlap depending on the thickness of your neckband). You can measure the total neckline and then multiply by 0.75 then add the extra 2" to get the neckband length.

Overlap the end of the neckband, pin and baste 1/8" from the raw edges- see second pic.

V-neck Tutorial #3 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

V-neck Tutorial #5 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Now cut a 1/8" slit into the front of the v-neck NO BIGGER that 1/8" (If you cut it too big your v-neck won't come out clean) (Note: if you are using a larger seam allowance then 1/4" you can cut it bigger.)

V-neck Tutorial #6 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Pin the neckband, right sides together, to the front of the v-neck. Line up the raw edges of either side of the v-neck with the raw edges of the neck band. Have the bottom of the slit meet up with the corner of the basting stitch so that the slit is opened up - don't stretch it too much or it will be wonky.

V-neck Tutorial #7 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Pin and baste these two together. I found it best to baste each side separately. Sew one side, cut threads and then sew the other, don't pivot the needle. You have more control this way.

V-neck Tutorial #8 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Turn to the right side and double check that what you have done looks good. If not, pick out the basting stitches and try again, if you like how it lays then go on.

V-neck Tutorial #9 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Pin the neckband all the way around the neck.

V-neck Tutorial #10 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Serge/sew around. Start at one end of the vee and go all the way around to finish at the other side of the vee. When you are sewing right at the corner of the vee pull the fabric from the other side out of the way so you don't catch it. Watch that you sew right on top of the basting stitches. You may want to sew with the neckband on the bottom so you can see your basting stitches better.

Secure the serger tail by sewing it down. (not shown)

V-neck Tutorial #13 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

V-neck Tutorial #14 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

V-neck Tutorial #15 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Finish off the shirt according to the directions and enjoy your lovely V-neck!!

Mamu Deborah by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Super clean V-neck

I always have trouble with that style. Thanks! I will have to try it soon.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for this tutorial it's great.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice tute!

Downloads
    Uploads

omg, that's awesome, and...now I want to make that top!
    Jacki, wife to Doug, SAHM to three girls, two boys.
    aldousmom on Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! That looks great!
    ~Jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

Soooooooo glad for this! Thanks!
    Proud bio mama to three- 23b, 19b, 15g
    Foster mama to many- J, b 12/2013, been here since 4/15 & L, b 8/16, been here since 11/16

Downloads
    Uploads

I love how it looks so perfect!! Great tutorial - I will try this next time I do a v-neck!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

that's how I do it, except I hadn't thought of the basting stitches. thanks!!
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent tutorial - thanks!
    Brenda
    Momma to Mallory

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job! Thanks!!
    Tonya

Downloads
    Uploads

Great! Thanks!
    mommie to: mmw (10), vlw (8), & jaw (4)

ISO: Farbenmix ROXY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I have this pattern otw!
    Jess - Part time K teacher and full time Mom to 2 beautiful girls and one handsome boy, living on a dairy farm with the man of my dreams!

my sewing blog

Downloads
    Uploads

You are all welcome!

I'm planning to do a sew-a-long for the whole shirt sometime soon
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm definitely going to use these tips the next time I sew a v-neck. Thank you!!
    Carmen - Mama to 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my gosh. Are you kdding me? It can really be THIS EASY??? I've struggled & struggled with v-necks and never ever thought of doing it this way. SUPER EASY!!! Thank you!!!!
    Debi

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!!!!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~