User Tag List

Thread: Quilted Insulated Casserole Carrier Tutorial - DL

Downloads
    Uploads

Quilted Insulated Casserole Carrier Tutorial - DL

This carrier will hold most round/oval casserole dishes and the smaller square dishes. I put my very large 3 quart round in it with no problems as well as my 2 quart oval.

Materials needed -
    Cotton woven print for outer & straps, minimum 7/8 yd.
    Cotton woven coordinate for inner, minimum of 5/8 yd.
    Insulbrite insulating batting - minimum 5/8 yd.
    2 D-rings, i use 1 1/2" here

Step 1
    Cut the following pieces -
    From print - 24" square
    one 4" wide x 44" long strip
    From coordinate - 21" square
    From insulbrite - 21" square

Step 2 - on a large work table lay the print 24" square wrong side up, center the insulbrite & lining fabric (right side up).

Step 3 - Pin in several places to hold layers together. Alternately you could use basting stitches or spray.

Step 4 - Mark quilting lines with chalk marker/pencil. I just use a grid pattern but you could do whatever type of quilting you like.

Step 5 - Quilt. For the grid i start at the middle and work my way out to the sides, it's easier to keep it from bunching and shifting this way.

Step 6 - Trim up the lining and insulbright so they are even. Leave the print fabric to extend 1 1/2" beyond the other fabrics on all four sides.

Step 7 - *sorry i didn't get a picture for some reason* Fold raw edge of the print fabric even with the edge of the other layers and iron down to create the binding for the edge. Pin if needed to hold in place.

Step 8 - Use a marking pen to mark 1 1/2" from each corner of the binding.

Step 9 - Take a piece of tape and lay diagonally corner to corner matching up with the marks you made in Step 8.

Step 10 - Fold the corner w/ print sides facing, aligning folded fabric edges.

Step 11 - Sew down right side edge of tape (i go forward and then backstitch to make sure it's stable).

Step 12 - Trim to 1/4" from stitching/tape edge. Remove tape. This creates a perfectly mitered corner.

REPEAT for all 4 corners.

Step 13 - Flip all 4 corners over.

Step 14 - Iron binding down all the way around giving a bit of steam to corners if needed to get it to lay totally flat. Pin in place if necessary.
    SEW binding in place all around.

Step 15 - Iron 4" wide strip in 1/2 and then fold in each side to middle and iron down.

Fold in 1/2 again and iron/steam as needed.

Step 16 - Sew 1/4" from folded edge. I sew an additional 2 lines of stitching down strap to make it more sturdy.

Step 17 - Cut the 44" long strip into the following pieces -
    2 - 3 1/2" long pieces
    1 - 27" long piece

Step 18 - Turn under 1/2" on both narrow ends of long strap. Pin diagonally corner to corner of inside of carrier.

Step 19 - Sew each end down securely. I sew a box at each end and then an X through the box to make sure it's very secure for carrying.

Step 20 - Put the D Ring through each of the smaller loops. Fold in half and turn raw edge under 1/2" and stitch in place securely as above.

This is what it should look like laid out flat when you are done.

Casserole carrier gets centered under the long strap and you put the strap through each D ring and pull up over the dish :-)

ENJOY!
    Sarah
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Wife to John & mommy to princesses Faith & Olivia

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Quilted Insulated Casserole Carrier Tutorial

Love it! I have never seen a carrier like this before. It looks great!
    Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

That's really cool!! I was just thinking I need a few new casserole carriers today and was trying to figure out a pattern. maybe I'll just try yours out! Thanks

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

The pattern originally was in a magazine, country women maybe? not sure but someone cut it out and saved it. I've made a few of them. My favorite part is the mitered corners, works awesome for placemats and quilts too :-)
    Sarah

Downloads
    Uploads

awesome tute! good for the holidays and potluck! TFS
    mom to a 12 years old girly girl and a 10 years old smarty pants little man.

All typos are hereby blamed on my iPad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Love it! Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

love that! thanks for the great tute. i will try this one... i am confused on how the strap works.. you put the dish under the long strap and then pull the straps through the rings?
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ISO: japanese woven colorful heggies and Amy Butler Pink Coriander

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice tute! You take good closeup pics, too!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanesews View Post
    love that! thanks for the great tute. i will try this one... i am confused on how the strap works.. you put the dish under the long strap and then pull the straps through the rings?
    Yes here's some pictures of another one i did that shows it with the dish -

Does that make it easier to understand?
    Sarah

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks! that totally makes sense now! thanks for the extra pics.. i bet you could add those to the original tute and get a couple more points- hehehe those are going on my teacher gift list~ and my new mom gift list. how great would that be with a casserole in it for a new mom?
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ISO: japanese woven colorful heggies and Amy Butler Pink Coriander

Downloads
    Uploads

wow, thanks so much for sharing (and I was wondering about the strap too <g>)
    Kyle

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Quilted Insulated Casserole Carrier Tutorial -

I just wanted to say thanks for this tutorial! I made several for Christmas, and everyone loved them. I even had to show my mother how to make them because she wants to make them for everyone! They make the perfect hostess gift. I made matching cloth grocery bags to go with them.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Quilted Insulated Casserole Carrier Tutorial -

Thanks for letting me know Erica :-) I'm making several this year for craft fairs i think they'll be popular :-)
    Sarah