User Tag List

Thread: Reversible Pillowcase Dress - in downloads

Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Reversible Pillowcase Dress - in downloads

The post in Material Girls got me thinking about how to do this, and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I had to sew one up to see if my idea would work. It did, and results in a really nice weight pillowcase dress, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

I didn’t use a pattern for this, but if you want one, you can use any of the free ones out there, or the one in an older issue of Ottobre. You will want to adjust the top part so that there is only a seam allowance there rather than enough to fold over to make your casing.

Cut 2 fronts and 2 backs (a front and a back from each fabric). Seriously, you can wing the shape. It should look like these.

Now, take your two fronts and place them right sides together. Sew around the top from armhole to armhole leaving an opening near the top of each armhole opening. Your opening should be slightly wider than the width of the ribbon you want to use. Be sure to backstitch at each end of your stitching.

Trim corners and clip curves.

Turn right side out and press. Be sure that the seam allowance in your openings is folded under. (you may want to take some small pieces of fusible web and use it to secure the SA to the fabric here. Just be sure not to fuse your opening closed!)

Repeat with your two back pieces.

Now open out your front pieces so that the side seams form a straight line on either side of the bodice piece.

Open out the back pieces and lay it right sides together with the front pieces, matching up the side seams--be careful to match the seam at the underarms.

Sew your side seams from the bottom of one side of your dress to the bottom of the other side of your dress. Repeat for the other side.

Open the dress out so that the “inside of the dress is to the inside and the “outside” is to the outside. Fold up and press your hem allowance on both dress fabrics.

The bottom should be even with the hems to the inside.

You can hem each dress fabric separately, but if you do, you will need to finish your seam allowances before you do. I hemmed them together by topstitching.

Now, sew two parallel lines on either edge of the opening you left on the front of the dress at the beginning. This will make your casings. Repeat for the back.

Thread your ribbon through your casings and tie a bow, or use two ribbons and tie a bow at each shoulder. Voila!

Last edited by sandrahd; 07-13-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: to correct a picture
    Sandra
    DH (Love of my Life)
    DD#1 (Allie, 8)
    DD#2 (Jenna, 5)
    My machines: Janome TB30, Juki Pearl MO-655 Serger, Brother 2340CV, Janome Memorycraft 350E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.