User Tag List

Thread: infant gown with pocket opening - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

infant gown with pocket opening - in downloads

any pattern will do, this is from otto 3/2005? but for the sleeve flap, the sleeves need to be 2 pieces or maybe a slit will work, it will make more sense once i get to the sleeve part.

Here goes

i made a mark, 8" from the bottom hem on the back pattern piece. i estimate that this is where the baby's bum will be.

then i draw a line 2" above and below the centre line and marking them as "bottom and upper flap".but you can adjust this accordingly. remember that upon finishing, the flap will be 4". so if you draw the line at 1.5", the finished flap will be 3", make sense?

i am doing sleeve flaps too. so this is 1 piece of the sleeve. hard to see with white on white but the paper where i marked SA is the drafted sleeve cuff. on the bodice sleeve, i mark 1.5" from the sleeve edges, though you can add/minus this measurement as how you like it.

now place the wider edge against the fold of fabric and cut X 2 pieces on the fold.

i fold the line of the back pattern piece where i mark it as "upper flap" and place the pattern piece on the fold on the fabric.

no picture here, but then i fold the back pattern piece where i mark it as "bottom flap" and place the pattern piece on the main fabric (the giraffe print).

next, take one of the sleeve cuff, and fold it into half. place the fold towards the bodice and align the raw edges of the sleeve cuff on the bodice sleeve edges.

place the bodice right side together, with the sleeve cuff sandwiched in between and sew the top edge (shoulder to sleeve edge).
    **this is the 2 sleeve pieces that i was mentioning about. to have just 1 sleeve piece, you probably have to make a slit for the sleeve cuff or maybe there is another way that i am not aware off

align the crossover top, then sew the bottom front part of the gown to the upper part (crossover).

next, turning the gown to the back, the front part of the gown is the actual length of the gown. finish the edges of the back bottom piece of the flap and also the back edges. now place the gown right side together (back + front), then place the flap piece on top of it, making sure its align properly at the gown's bottom hem.

align the sleeve edges,then serge all around.

now to finish the sleeve flap. make sure the flap is placed on the back sleeve. if its not, just flip it over, no biggie.

cut binding strips and sew it over the sleeve edges, making sure the flap is on the back part of the sleeve. it was so tiny that my stitching is a bit wonky here. so i think next time, i might finish the sleeve edges before serging the sleeve together.

flipping the flap over, it will cover the baby's hand to prevent scratching or even when sleeping at night, no need for mittens

its done!

the back view.

and the flap.

hope its clear and helps
    Last edited by northernmama; 05-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    mom to a 12 years old girly girl and a 10 years old smarty pants little man.

All typos are hereby blamed on my iPad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: infant gown with pocket opening

That is super!Great tut!
    The fabric started to grow on me....need to buy some for my grandson!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: infant gown with pocket opening - in downloads

fabulous. will try it in a few weeks when i have time! thank you!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Aida! TFS
    ~Veronica~
    Mama of Brianna (9) & Ashton (5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is great Aida! Thanks for doing this. Now I need a baby to sew for.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

I *LOVE* this!!! I'm going to make up a couple for my friend and my new grandbaby who is arriving very soon. AWESOME!!!
    Jacki, wife to Doug, SAHM to three girls, two boys.
    aldousmom on Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks, I have a friend who is pregnant so I will be using this to make some gowns for her new baby!

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be trying this as soon as I get back from the store with fabric! Great job!

Downloads
    Uploads

WOA! You make it look so easy! BEAUTIFUL!

Downloads
    Uploads

love this! Have to add it to my baby shower gift goodies file!
    Sewing Mama to Tanner 7/03, Jenna 4/05, and baby Nathan 1/08

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful! I'll be all over it next time a baby joins our family.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't wait to try this! Now to find a fun knit fabric.

Downloads
    Uploads

Adorable!!!