User Tag List

Thread: Design 11 Journal jersey tunic and dress

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 11 Journal jersey tunic and dress

Size 34-52 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 11 Journal jersey tunic and dress

Sorry for the crummy mirror pic, I don't have any one around who can take a picture of me.
    Otto Women 2-10, # 11. Easy pattern, comes together quickly. I've decided it's not particularly flattering on my hips, but it's really comfy, so oh well. I can wear it around the house.
    Mama to Zola ('07) and Felix('09)
    My sewing blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great pattern to sew, very easy. You would have thought when I was tracing it I would have realized that it is actually a dress with a tunic you wear over the top. But I didn't. Once I began cutting out of the fabric I realized this! I didn't have matching fabric on hand so I had to improvise. I cut the tunic bodice as is and then cut the bodice front for the dress. I hemmed it and just included it with the tunic bodice front like it was one piece. It worked really well! Also, when cutting the skirt portion, I used the cuttin gline for the dress and added 6 inches. It seemed short at the time so I figured if it wasn't I could just cut some off once I got it sewn up. But once I tried it on I realized that either: a) I am really too tall for this dress or b) the dress is too short! I didn't take off any of the length. I would suspect it's a combination of the 2.

As for the fit of the dress. it fits great now. The bodice is right on, it's not too revealing. My only problem though is that this isn't that flattering on me so I have to wear a belt! I am 5' 9 and about a size 12 and it looked mumu-ish.

Kelly

Visit my blog at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alternative title - How to send yourself bonkers by diving in at the deep end.

I can see that this isn't that difficult a pattern, had I sticked to a heavier weight fabric. The undershirt sewed up beautifully in baby pink California knit (crafty mamas). The over shirt however in Toptex Sheer Euro Knit (crafty mamas again) while looking lovely, was a challenge to sew as it didn't respond well to the coverstitch. I ended up supporting the neckline hems with interfacing and doing the majority of the stitching on my regular machine. I quite like the end result as the neckline isn't stretched out and sits beautifully.

I realise I am repeating myself slightly .... but this topic will cover the entire outfit.

So first we have the undershirt. I kept the hem to 1inch rather than 2, because I like these tops long. bound neckline and armholes because I detest the elastic method that ottobre is in love with right now.

Pink undershirt by Datcat, on Flickr

And now the overshirt ..... Hem also kept to 1 inch. Again with the elastic business. I went with old fashioned gathering by hand .... how ancient am I.

finished outfit by Datcat, on Flickr

Summary: its a lovely outfit, very comfortable to wear. the shoulder seams sit on the back of the shoulders rather than the top which I thought was my fault until going back and looking at the image in the magazine, and it appears thats the way its meant to be. I think another tunic in a heavier weight knit may be a good option, as it means I can use my coverstitch, but that can wait til its slightly colder.

Dani - Mum to a beautiful daughter, handsome son, and sadly missed angel Isabeau

- The barefoot seamstress ......smelling vaguely of mothballs and lavender, and craving chocolate badly.

Downloads
    Uploads

This goes over the same baby pink under dress, but has ended up longer, so you can't see the hem as well. The fabric is a semi-sheer polyester from Lincraft, nowhere near as good quality as the previous top, and a tiny bit scratchy, but still it will do just fine for a work top.

tunic top by Datcat, on Flickr

I am going to try this top in a medium weight knit, perhaps with a simple binding on the neckline. I think it will work out well that way. Please excuse the mismatched skirt, I didn't see the point in changing the bottom half just for a photo.

Dani - Mum to a beautiful daughter, handsome son, and sadly missed angel Isabeau

- The barefoot seamstress ......smelling vaguely of mothballs and lavender, and craving chocolate badly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another incarnation of one of my favourites .... Otto 02/2010 #11. Journal .... just the tunic this time.

The fabric is a mystery piece I picked up from a garage sale. Its very busy, and bright, but I figure the bigger the print, the more it hides.

IMG_0598 by Datcat, on Flickr