User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy ric-rac trim (in downloads)

Downloads
    Uploads

Easy ric-rac trim (in downloads)

This is NOT the heirloom way to do something at all. I think of it as the down and dirty quick way. This is for projects that involve a ton of ric rac or hem (with no patience for hem facings). I do a lot of projects with ric rac at Christmas so I thought someone may find use in this. Sorry for the picture quality. They were taken on my phone. I will try to add better ones later.

Step one: Wash, dry, and steam iron medium 1/2" ric rac on hot. This stuff shrinks, and you don't want your project ruined by forgetting this step.

Step 2: Line up ric rac against the right side of the fabric, and line up the bottom edges of the fabric and ric rac. It is really best if you line it up with the bottom curve of the ric rac curving towards the bottom edge of the fabric. Mine curves the other way and has an exposed raw edge. Make sure to seal edge of ric rac as well.

Step 3: Serge fabric and ric rac together. Make sure to keep them against the blade without going under it. It might also be best to match your serging to your ric rac.

Step 4: Fold ric rac under and iron. If I had put the curve going down, I would have had a much prettier end.

Step 5: Topstitch, and you are finished!

Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Easy ric-rac trim

Thanks for sharing that tip. That's a great idea. : )

Downloads
    Uploads

what a great idea! would it work with a zigzag or overcast stitch on a regular machine? I might have to give it a try!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DawnMcD View Post
    what a great idea! would it work with a zigzag or overcast stitch on a regular machine? I might have to give it a try!
    I think you could make that work. You just need to make sure that your needle sinks in the ric rac midway (1/4").

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't know about shrinking ric-rac...love this tip!
    My Esty Shop:

Downloads
    Uploads

Very clever! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I like that method - good idea.
    Erika

mama to 3 (14, 12, & 9 yrs)

ISO fabric with guinea pigs on it -- woven or knit, cartoon or realistic (as long as we can tell what it is), scraps to yardage

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the great tips and tute - just got some wonderful rickrack yesterday!
    Ann Marie
    Wife to Joe, Mama to Emmy Jack Natalie

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! I tried using ricrac recently and it was soooo hard lol. I think this would be so much easier!!

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a great tip! Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jeannine McCloskey

My blog is

My pictures are

Downloads
    Uploads

Great tute!
    MelissaB in WA ~ SAHM to four kiddos ~ a girl (12) & three boys (aka "the brothers" ~ 9, 7, & 5 years)

featuring personalized bloomers, burp cloths, & chenille birthday bibs!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

That makes it super easy. Thanks for sharing this idea!
    ~Nicole~

Mama to two special girls 2/06
    and 3/08

Downloads
    Uploads

Great idea!

I've been wanting to use ric rac trim, but wasn't sure how to go about it!
    Jenn
    Married to D (12/28/01), mama of 3 beautiful girls (7/03, 8/07, and 12/10)

Downloads
    Uploads

cool! thanks for teaching
    Nothing is Impossible, So make it possible by doing the impossible, and you won't feel that horrible

ISO: Kids Ottos:
    Ottobre Spring 1/2007
    Ottobre Summer 2008
    Winter Ottobre 5/2006
    winter Ottobre 4/2004
    Summer Ottobre 2/2003
    Spring Ottobre 1/2003

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for sharing!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! I will have to try with my overcast stitch also as I don't have a serger! Thanx!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

what a lovely idea. I wouldn't have known to wash it first. Thanks!!!!
    Tonya

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great tip! Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! That looks really nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast