User Tag List

Thread: Design 23 Pikasalama denim overalls

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 23 Pikasalama denim overalls

Size 92-122 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 23 Pikasalama denim overalls

Made this over size 104 and they turned out great! I did the instructions for the straps a bit unclear and had to do my own thing with them.

Leah - wife to 1, mama to 8

Also co-manager of lots of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and goats (where's the goat smilie?)

Downloads
    Uploads

I made these for my 105ish cm 5 year old, in size 104 plus extra length at the hems. I used a light-mid weight denim (bought as a 1 yard cut at JoAnn in 2009 and barely had enough to cut out all my pattern pieces!) plus a cotton print for the facing.

I like the way these look and fit! I deviated from the topstitching instructions in places (used double topstitching where single was called for, added topstitching across the tops of the pockets, etc.) and added a Spiderman patch and rough embroidery.

I thought the instructions were unclear in places. The shoulder strap instructions say to turn under the seam allowances on long edges and one end... But of course it should be the narrow end, not the wide end that's stitched to the back yoke and I wonder why they didn't specify this.

In the end, I didn't like the way the front facing is stitched and then topstitched in place, then the lower seam of the waistband topstitched through the facing. It doesn't matter much from the front, but that line of stitching isn't really necessary to hold the facing in place and I think it ended up making the facing look unnecessarily sloppy. Not that I went back and picked it out or anything. If I had it to do over again, I would topstitch the lower waistband seam at the same time I topstitch the upper waistband seam.

ETA: After my kid wore these for a day, it became clear that the straps are either way too long or need much more velcro than the pattern calls for to hold them in place. I added at least 10cm to the total 6cm velcro called for to keep the extra lengths of strap secured.
    Last edited by quartercentury; 03-01-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Expat Repatriating mama to two three!!!

New baby born at home, April 2014
    (Disclaimer: He's bigger than that now)

Downloads
    Uploads

I made these overalls in a 116 cm. The fit is great on my little guy. The instructions were a little difficult to follow. I've never made overalls before and it was a fun challenge. The end result is adorable and I'm glad I kept plugging away at them. I did different fussy cut pockets vs. the embroidery on the pattern. I found the instructions for the straps to be confusing. They ended up being way too wide for the back yoke piece. I turned them in again and then they fit perfectly. Basically they don't need a seam allowance added. The straps also seem very long. I used traditional overall buckles instead of clips.

Last edited by LAB; 11-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Laura

Christine 1/5/2002, Nicole 5/13/2003,
    Everett 4/24/2009, Alister 9/3/2010
    Moira and Giselle 10/24/2013!

Downloads
    Uploads

Again in 104, with length added through the rise and in the hems. Cars theme this time!

The straps are, again, too long. They are designed to have a double-turned hem, 1+1 cm, and then they fit the back yoke piece just fine. But they are too long.

Inside facings (I followed my advice from before and did not topstitch through them. I know no one sees but me when I am doing the laundry, but I like the cleaner look on the inside.):
    Expat Repatriating mama to two three!!!

New baby born at home, April 2014
    (Disclaimer: He's bigger than that now)