User Tag List

Thread: Design 30 Prince's / knight's cape

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 30 Prince's / knight's cape

Size 86-122 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 30 Prince's / knight's cape

Dragon cape!!!For a birthday gift. Red velvet, cotton lining, satin cord ties, fancy iridescent rick rack trim and knit fabric applique. Very easy!!

I used the ottobre design for the applique but did it the way I prefer to do appliques.

The inside.

He loves it!! I had NO idea how tall he was and his mom said he was 42 inches (more like 49 ha ha!!). So I started out with a pattern based on his size and then finagled it to fit on the piece of velvet I had, so I have NO idea what size you would call this.
    Jacki, wife to Doug, SAHM to three girls, two boys.
    aldousmom on Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads

These are big hits at bday parties. Very easy to sew. I don't like ties so use 1" wide foe at the collar and then sew velcro onto it. I generally do them one sided and do a rolled hem on the outside edge.

Photo to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a bunch of these for my kids. I used felt for the outer layer and cheap costume satin for the inner. Using costume satin for the inner was a problem, as you need 60 inch wide fabric for this pattern, at least in sizes 116 and above. I had to piece my inner. I honestly did not even read the directions, so I can't speak to how the pattern is constructed. However, I am glad that I used the pattern because I would not have made such a full cape had I been drafting it myself, and it really is nicer if it is full like this. I made the 116 cm for my son who is exactly 116 cm, and it was not as long as I would like. So I would definitely lengthen it if you have enough fabric.

Like cinnamama said, I don't think it is safe to have ties at the neck. I used TouchTape (like velcro) instead. For the neck band, I used a piece of felt that was 3" x 20" in length, folded in half to enclose the raw edges of the cape at the neck opening.

Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

This time I did not use the 1"foe. I cut a bias strip of the cape fabric (rain coat fabric) that was about 4x22" long. I finished the short ends and hemmed them. Then I folded the strip in like bias tape and enclosed the top of the cape. I sewed it down with a 3 step zig zag and added aplix to the ends. I like this much better than using the foe. I thought the rain coat fabric would be difficult to use as a binding/bias tape b/c I couldn't iron it but it was fine. Unfortunately I don't have a close up of the binding.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick and fun to make. I bound the edges, and added velcro tabs to close the cape, so my son could do it himself. I used the Ottobre applique, but simplified it.

Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

I have made probably 25 of these capes over the last few years. They are always a hit with kids.
    I like that the pattern comes in multiple sizes-- the one pictured is in the smallest, toddler size. Instead of sewing binding around the edges, I sew the 2 layers of costume satin RST then turn and topstitch. I use bias tape for the neckline & tie.
    Note here that the applique is a bit puckered. I used heat n bond plus stabilizer on the back, and that still wasn't enough to keep it from slipping around on the cape fabric.
    Mama to Noah (Aug 03), Owen (Jun 06), and Rosa (Feb 11)

Come visit my blog!