User Tag List

Thread: Design 23 Bert shorts and bermudas

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 23 Bert shorts and bermudas

Size 98-134cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 23 Bert shorts and bermudas

Nice fitting shorts, not wide/baggy at all. I used a length in between their lines for shorts and bermudas, and got something just above the knee. Separate waistband is finished in a different way than typical, it leaves a clean finish inside, but I found it a little difficult to sew as instructed.

Back view - interesting dropped yoke that the pockets overlap.

Laura
    Last edited by LKM26; 01-22-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fix picture link

Downloads
    Uploads

Loved this pattern. Went together super easy. I did see that the waist band construction was a litle different, but I just did the waistband the way I always do them. I am glad I put all the topstitching in them like the pattern called for. It really makes the shorts stand out. I made them in rocket ship fabric from JA's clearance rack.

I guess I don't have a pic of the back. Could have sworn I took one.

Downloads
    Uploads

These shorts are my second attempt ever at an Otto pattern. (And first attempt at decorative topstitching with a twin needle. Still need to work a bit on turning corners.) I cut a 104 without the seam allowance. I also cut the length between the 2 on the pattern. I also didn't do the waistband as directed. I think I used a bit wider elastic and without the seam allowance on the waistband piece, I couldn't get it to work. DS seems to like them. He has worn them 2 days in a row!!

~Jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

I made these in a gingham twill, and they turned out very well. I did not follow the directions at all, and omitted the drawstring. I also cut them slightly shorter than bermuda length, but not as short as the shorts version.

I'll definitely make these again, and have cut out 2 more for swim shorts already.
    Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

Downloads
    Uploads

Very happy with this pattern - fit is good and on my kids, one of those magic combinations that fits for 2 years. It's just loose enough without being clownish to last a while. Like everyone else I cut inbetween the two lengths.

The different pieces make it easy to embellish too, always nice for boy clothes.

Sewing, running, and yoga loving mom DS#1 (6) , DD (5), and DS#2 (3).

Downloads
    Uploads

These are now a staple at my house!

Kelly

Visit my blog at

Downloads
    Uploads

This is one of my favorite boy patterns. The mock fly and back yoke make this pattern look professional. If you do a lot of topstitching, it looks even more rtw. My son still likes to wear this pattern since it is easier than wearing a real fly pair of shorts.

My only problem with this pattern is that there is too much fabric in the crotch. I posted a tutorial on how to alter this in free patterns.

This pair was made with the original front and back pockets, added cargo pocket, and the longer length.

Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

This pattern also makes great pants or jeans by just adding length. I add 12" to the bottom line of the pattern for size 134. This pair of pants is my son's Cub Scout pants. He is too skinny for the official pants so I made him a custom pair that had a lot of the same details. I changed the front pockets to interior pockets, altered the back pockets, added cargo pockets, and added hammer loops. They are made from poly/cotton twill.

Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

Size 98. These are a bit big (wide?) on my slim ds, who wears a 98 slim. Usually 98 regular will work for him as a looser fit but these are a bit too big. I've made them in the past in size 92 and they fit great, I guess he didn't grow like I thought he had!

I made these a little shorter than bremuda length, they fall mid-knee. I usually do the short length though. They are super fast to make, I can't remember how I did the waist-band the other times I've made these as I don't really follow directions! This time I used a knit waistband, which I think contributed to the baggy look. Next time I'll do size 92 again instead!

These are really quick to make and look good in lots of different fabrics. These are searsucker, next pair will be corduroy!
    ____________________ ____________________ _____________

<<< My shop for custom kids clothes, The Little Sewing Shop