User Tag List

View Poll Results: How useful is this review?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent!

5 83.33%
  • Very Helpful

1 16.67%
  • Helpful

0 0%
  • Needs More Info

0 0%
  • Unclear

0 0%

Thread: Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag

Downloads
    Uploads

Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    Amy Butler
    Pattern Name/Number
    Weekender Travel Bag
    Pattern Description
    "The perfect carry-all bag for your next getaway!"
    Which view and size did you make?
    one size
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    I added piping to the side pockets, added button feet, and matched the pockets to the panels. Otherwise, it looked just like the pattern.
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    No
    If not, why?
    The pattern instructions are not correct. Amy Butler's website has corrections, but they are pretty difficult to find. http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ...es.php?upd=wtb She has not published the corrected directions in full. Instead, she instructs you to cross out this line, add this phrase, change this, and so forth. Even the corrections are confusing. If you don't need instructions for patterns, this would be a great pattern for you.
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    I love the final product, but that is all. I dislike the homemade techniques the pattern asks you to use. I hate the instructions and corrections. I dislike that you are instructed to pretty much handsew the entire lining. This is a large bag, and that would be a LOT of handsewing. I dislike so much about this pattern that there is probably not enough room to cover everything.
    Fabric used
    Amy Butler Nigella home dec
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    -I used a zipper by the yard with double pulls. Instead of hand sewing the zipper in any way, I sewed it to the linging (and turned the bag from a hole in the lining. Wonder Tape held the zipper in place when I put the zipper between the basted, wrong sides together bag panels.
    -I followed the instructions for the bottom (found hidden on her website), but I don't care for the gap that leaves in the fabric. I would cut the interfacing piece a bit larger than instructed.
    -I used piping for the side pockets.
    -Instead of handsewing pretty much the entire inside of the bag, I did it on the machine leaving about 8" to turn.
    -I made the piping on the bottom of the bag look more professional than her run off the edge method.
    -I used denim needle size 18/110 instead of the 16. On my 500A, the sewing on this bag was almost smooth. I can't imagine doing this bag on a modern machine.
    -I used fun buttons on the bottom of the bag as feet.
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    No
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    No
    Any additional comments
    http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=115160
    This pattern makes a GORGEOUS bag! That makes it VERY hard to give this a bad review, but the instructions are just horrible! If you do not need instructions and you know some better handbag techniques, then this would be a great pattern for you. If you are a beginner, stay away! If you are easily frustrated, stay away! If you do not have a machine that can handle layers and layers of fabric, run away! I used my Singer 500A (vintage, all steel construction for those not in the know) and size 18 denim needles, and it was still a battle at times. I will be making this pattern probably 2 more times, but that is not really by choice. My mom saw the bag, and she LOVES it! This bag really sucks the joy out of sewing, but it does make a pretty final product. Oh dear!
    Attached Images Attached Images