User Tag List

View Poll Results: How useful is this review?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent!

2 100.00%
  • Very Helpful

0 0%
  • Helpful

0 0%
  • Needs More Info

0 0%
  • Unclear

0 0%

Thread: McCall 4060

Downloads
    Uploads

McCall 4060

Patterns
    Pattern Manufacturer
    McCall
    Pattern Name/Number
    Pattern Description
    Ladies' and Misses' Slip-On Dress-August 16, 1921
    Which view and size did you make?
    View B, size 18 with larger hip alteration
    Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    -
    Were the instructions easy to follow?
    Yes
    If not, why?
    The instructions given were easy to follow. The pattern left out of some hand-holding sewing steps that we are used to in modern patterns. I was suprised by the detail of finishing techniques given in the pattern. The pattern was designed with the idea that you would play around with different finishes so the pattern did not tell you exactly how to do the final details. It left that up to you!

Side notes- This is a "new" McCall printed pattern. The pattern is on a kind of carbon printed tissue, and the instructions are also on a tissue sheet. The seam allowance is 3/8" so I kept having to remind myself of that.
    What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    This is just pure 20's style! The pleats were a pain to fit into the insets, but they look so pretty finished.
    Fabric used
    Sea-foam green linen/rayon blend
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
    The pattern provides an adjustment for larger hips, and I used that method. It worked perfectly! I did shorten the dress. The envelope has the pattern hitting just above the knee. I had to chop off 6 inches to get anywhere close to that length, and I am almost 5'8" tall!
    Would you sew this pattern again?
    Yes
    Would you recommend this pattern to others?
    Yes
    Any additional comments
    Inspired by the dress, I ended up handsewing the under binding on the sleeves, the hems, and the facings. I don't like to handsew, but it really added to the look of the dress.

Unless I end up selling this pattern, I don't think anyone can find this pattern. It is a lovely, well-drafted pattern, and I am so happy that I sewed it up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sewingmel; 06-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.