User Tag List

Thread: T-shirt Stenciling - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

T-shirt Stenciling - in downloads

I had a few requests to do a tutorial on t-shirt stenciling. Quite a number of ottos have patterns for things you can stencil, some are really fun. Finally I just had to try it!

Here's how:

Lay a piece of 4 mil tarp plastic (Home Depot) on top of the pattern for your stencil and trace the edges with a thin sharpie.

You can see how I labeled the insides of the 8. You'll see why in a bit.

Carefully cut out along the lines to create the syencil. I use embroidert scissors the have very sharp tips. You can color the parts to cut out so you don't get confused as you cut (not shown).

Spray the back side of the plastic with glue spray (Joann's), Let it sit for 2-3 minutes so it will only stick temporarily. Remember, the writing should be backwards when you spray the glue so that is the right way when on the fabric.

Spray the insides of letters/numbers separately.

Lay the stencil down on your fabric and smooth it out, gently pat down all edges. Place insides of letters/numbers in correct positions according to how you labeled them at the beginning.

Put some fabric paint in a container and use a foam brush to dab onto stencil and fabric. The sponge brush was bought at Michael's.

Right after you are done sponging (or the plastic will dry to the fabric ) gently pull off the plastic, have someone help if you are worried about smudging. Use tweezers for the inside pieces of the letters/numbers.

Final product:

Sns'd here.

Shirt I was "copying":

A note on fabric paint:

I've tried two kinds both area available from Michael's and Joann's. The one on the left dyes the fabric and doesn't get cracks in it when the knit fabric stretches, however, it is thinner can gets under the stencil a bit (see airplane pic above). The one on the right is thicker and sits on top of the fabric (that is what I used for this tute). It can get tiny cracks in it as the fabric stretches but it gives a cleaner edge. You can get around the cracking if you stencil onto a woven piece and then sew it on to the knit shirt in an applique.

Post pics when you try this!
    Last edited by hershyyyy; 05-17-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: T-shirt Stenciling

great tute!!! Thanks - I have been wanting to try this for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
    great tute!!! Thanks - I have been wanting to try this for a while.
    me too!! Thank you!!!!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't wait to try this out! Thanks so much

Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same thing except I use contact paper (: Oh and my mum managed to get the boys England shirts clean after I had tried everything else by pure elbow grease, dish soap and a floor scrubbing brush.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I do the same thing except I use contact paper (: Oh and my mum managed to get the boys England shirts clean after I had tried everything else by pure elbow grease, dish soap and a floor scrubbing brush.
    Wow! I never tried that! Good thing I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out I will try that!!!
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

Downloads
    Uploads

wow, thank you so much for the tute. I was just looking the other day at the screen print kits at Hobby Lobby. But did not want to go to that expense. You rock.
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)

Downloads
    Uploads

This is so awesome! I've wanted that new screen printing machine but can't justify the expense. Can't wait to try this!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads

This is very fun! You can also use freezer paper and just iron the pieces onto your fabric instead of using glue. Then you can leave the pieces on until the paint dries.

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Clear contact paper also works well for this project.

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW! that is very neat! I am so going to try this soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wowww!That is very easy)

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: T-shirt Stenciling - in downloads

Thank you! I've been wanting to give this a try

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I have wanted to try this.
    Shannon
    mama to Kim 23, Josh 21, Curtis 15 and Sterling 10
    and GRANDMA to a little boy named Kayden Alexander
    BORN 1/1/11 and twin grandbabies Kaylee and Owen born 3 months early March 4th 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads

I also use the freezer paper and just iron it on and leave it till dry. Then when you peel, you get nice clean edges.
    IDSO one diaper cut of any VW bus. I have some HTF fabrics and paypal for trade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kid is More Cute Then T-Shirts

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thanks. I hope that it's as easy for me as you make it seem
    Jess, mama to Julia (4) & Greta (18 mo)

my blog
    :

Downloads
    Uploads

Now i know what to do next sunday! Making a few new shirts for my littlen!

Downloads
    Uploads

You make it look so easy! I have been wanting to do this.....good job!

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying to work up the courage to try this! It looks so easy and cute but I don't know...

Mama to Tati 10, Bunni 8, and A.J. 7, Little Love 22months, and mama-sister to Lory 21,
    wife of 13years to my God-given hubby