User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reversible/Lined Yoga Waist A-line Skirt-in dwnlds

Downloads
    Uploads

Reversible/Lined Yoga Waist A-line Skirt-in dwnlds

There are several ways to do this skirt, but this is my favorite method. It washes and wears great!

Step 1: Make your a-line skirt pattern based on your hip measurement (plus ease and seam allowance) and your desired length. My hips are 40.5 so the top measurement of my skirt is 42 with ease and 1/4" seam allowance. You may want more ease or a bigger seam allowance. Remember that you will have a front and back that are exactly the same.

Step 2: Cut a front and back from each of your fabrics.

Step 3: Pin skirt pieces right sides together, and sew up sides seams on each individual skirt.

Step 4: Cut your waistband from cotton lycra. Mine is 7" tall by 75% of my waist measurement. Be sure to measure your waist where you want to wear the skirt. Mine is lower than my natural waist.

Step 5: Sew waist into a tube by sewing the ends together (right sides together).

Step 6: Fold waistband in half with wrong sides together (seams to the inside). Mine is now 3.5" by 75% of my waist measurement.

Step 7: Mark quarter points on both skirts and your waistband.

Step 8: Pin skirts and waistband together matching quarter points, and put the waistband seam at the center back of your skirts. Right sides of fabric will always touch each other. Mine is layered fabric A right side up, waist band (right sides out), fabric B right side down. To reduce bulk, nest your seams. Make each seam go the opposite direction.

Step 9: Serge or sew (with zig-zag or other stitch) waist seam.

View of serged seam

Step 10: Flip skirt out, and hem each skirt.

You are finished!

Tips:
    -You could tack the bottom edge of each skirt to each other so they don't show from the reverse.
    -I have made lined skirts (non-reversible) the same way, but I cut my lining 1/2" shorter than my skirt. I then hem it the same way.
    Last edited by sewingmel; 04-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Reversible/Lined Yoga Waist A-line Skirt

Cute--- thanks for posting it, your instructions are nice and clear! I am thinking about making one of these (non reversible but lined) for Katie and I to wear for Mother's day

ISO O+S Bedtime Story PJs pattern size 4-8
    (possibly interested in any other O+S patterns!)
    & Kwik Sew 3501
    ANY CONDITION - Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess my only question is that after step six did you have the seam of the waistband line up in the back or just pick a side of the skirt?

ISO O+S Bedtime Story PJs pattern size 4-8
    (possibly interested in any other O+S patterns!)
    & Kwik Sew 3501
    ANY CONDITION - Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!!!
    Rachel
    Wife of 24 years to one awesome High School science teacher
    Mom to 3 great kids
    Boy age 15
    Boy age 13
    Girl age 12
    “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might” (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Downloads
    Uploads

I lined up the back of the waistband at the center back of the skirt, but you could also do it at the side.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great, Mel. Thank you for sharing.

Downloads
    Uploads

that looks great! Thanks for sharing!
    Tonya

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for taking the time to make the tutorial. Very helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I still get a little lost in Step 8 but I will wait to have the fabrics cut and ready to go and maybe then I will be able to understand.

Thanks for taking the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't they shift and show with two unattached layers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary,
    momma to Tyler 5-14-03 And Maya 1-19-2001
    and Ciara (kee-ra) 1-14-06

Audrey Rose 4.29.08

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
    Don't they shift and show with two unattached layers?
    If you tack them, they are just fine. Mine isn't tacked, and it doesn't show. Remember, they are are the same length. If you want, you could sew the two layers together at the bottom. I cut these two pieces on opposite grains (because I only had 1 yard of one fabric) so I couldn't sew them together, but I also just prefer the 2 layers.
    Last edited by sewingmel; 04-13-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

that looks great! I might try one of these when it gets warmer! thanks for posting that.
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

Whoa! This is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to write this tutorial, Mel! Your instructions are so clear. I'm going to try this really soon.

I'm also intrigued by the Dritz Ezy-Hem -- I've never seen anything like it here. What a neat idea.
    Simone
    Momma to a miracle munchkin. I also work full-time outside the home, am a fabricaholic, love bellydancing and am constantly ISO more time to seewwwww!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mel~I like your EZ hem tool!!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

Dritz should pay ME for the many dritz ezy hems that I have told students to buy (or as I have bought...have a few)! Seriously! It is my favorite tool! When I first learned to sew, we had to use the seam guage, measure, and iron every 2 inches. This will let me iron 8" of hem at once. One side does circle hems, and the other side does straight. I will stop the advertising now becase Dritz does NOT pay me!

Downloads
    Uploads

very nice

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cute. And that looks super easy. Maybe that is our next sewing playdate!
    I want to get some cute fabric for me this summer.
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)

Downloads
    Uploads

This is fantastic!

Downloads
    Uploads

subbing so that after I have baby #3 I will make this
    SAHM mom to Curren, Ellie, Aiden, and Rylen
    Army wife to my wonderful soldier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast