User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bella bella pants * added to downloads *

Downloads
    Uploads

Mama Bella bella pants * added to downloads *

Items needed:
    -pattern- My base pattern is otto 3/06 #23. If you don't have otto 3/06, you can order it from sewzannes.
    -fabric- I used 1 yd of main and 1 yd of contrast for size 86 (2T) pants. Expect to use about a yard of contrast. Refer to your pattern for the amount of main fabric needed.
    -serger- All directions are given for a serger. There are ways to do this on a sewing machine, but they are not all explained in great detail.
    -1/2" elastic
    -tracing paper- I use Easy Pattern.
    -other sewing supplies- I always find that a seam ripper is a good thing to have on hand.

Step 1: Cut out all pieces. For the pants, you will need 2 fronts and 2 backs cut from your main fabric. Also cut 5 rectangles the same length as your frills by the full width of the fabric. I cut 5 rectangles at 3.75" by 44 inches and my 4 frills from the contrast fabric.

Step 2a: Sew up the center seam of the two front pieces right sides together. Put aside for now.
    Step 2b: Sew up the center seam of the two back pieces (RST).

Step 3: Spread out your sewn BACK, and copy the general shape onto tracing paper.

Step 4: Bump out the sides of the pattern keeping the waistline the same, and smooth the curve on the bottom of the skirt. Cut the pattern out on a fold to make sure the skirt is the same on both sides. Cut out skirt piece from main fabric.

Step 5: Spend some quality time with your serger doing rolled hems on the bottom of all ruffles and frills. You could also do a narrow hem on all pieces if you do not have a serger or if you don't know how to do rolled hems on a sewing machine.

Step 6: Ruffle the tops of all frills and ruffles. I did this on my serger by setting my stitch length at 5.0 and Diff at 2.0 (on my Husky 936). You could also baste and hand gather all ruffles.

Last edited by sewingmel; 03-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Bella bella pants

Step 7: Attach frills to the bottom of pant fronts and backs.

Getting there....

Step 8: Draw out ruffle lines on your skirt pattern. I put the first ruffle line 1 inch down. The rest were 2.75" down from the first. Cheat the last one to match the curve of the bottom. See picture. Please remember that these measurements are for a size 2T. You will have to do some adjusting for a larger size.

Step 9: Mark ruffle lines on fabric with washable fabric marker.

Step 10: Pin ruffles right sides together and upside down along each marked ruffle line. Top of skirt is at the bottom of picture.

Step 11: Serge/sew bottom frill to the bottom of skirt panel.

Step 12: Attach ruffles to skirt with 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 13: Iron down ruffles on front and back (optional)

If you don't iron back, at least check it to make sure it isn't bunched up in the back.

Step 14: Topstitch top 4 ruffles using 1/4" seam allowance. Don't topstitch bottom skirt frill.

Step 15: Pin and baste side ruffles in place. Add a little extra fullness rather than pulling them tight.

Step 16: Trim BASTED ruffles to be even with skirt sides.

Getting closer!
    Last edited by sewingmel; 03-02-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Step 17: Pin layers together in the following order.
    Pants front right side up, skirt panel right side down, pants back right side down

All pinned

Step 18: Sew sides using 3/8" SA, check seams, then serge edges.

Step 19: Carefully pull the skirt out of the way, and pin the inseam of the pants together.

Step 20: Sew inseam (watch that skirt again).

Step 21: Baste or sew skirt to back of pants with a 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 22: Make elastic circle, mark center points, and attach to pants at center points.

Step 23: Serge or zig-zag elastic to waist.

Step 24: Topstitch elastic down at 3/8". If you lined everything up correctly, you should be able to sew over top ruffle stitching when using a 3/8" seam. Don't forget to add a tag and size tag to mark the back. My dh would put it on the baby backwards otherwise!

You are finished!
    Last edited by sewingmel; 03-13-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

ahh need the tute already, lol
    Christine
    Proud Air Force Veterans wife of Greg and Mommy to 3 kids ages 8, 11, and 13
    Fur Mom to Bruce (kitty rescue) Velcro (rescue kitty also know as Itty Bitty)Ziva (mutt rescue) Thor (rescue kitten)
    My Blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Ohhhhhh so that's how you did it! Fabulously ingenious and wonderful tute. Thanks so very much for this. Hoping to make one this afternoon.

Downloads
    Uploads

AWesome job on the tutorial! TFS
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are excellent - and a great tute. Now I just need to find a little girl to make them for!
    Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, Mel! Thanks! I've started mine already and have started a different way but now I know how to finish them!
    Proud bio mama to three- 23b, 19b, 15g
    Foster mama to many- J, b 12/2013, been here since 4/15 & L, b 8/16, been here since 11/16

Downloads
    Uploads

Cute! Too bad I didn't have it about five years ago... I don't know that my seven year old would wear it..... I do have a friend that's got a baby turning a year old in May...
    *Jayme*
    Working Mom to Riley and Ashton, wife to Randy
    FurMom to Max

Ashton and Max

Downloads
    Uploads

Have mercy woman! You are so patient to have made directions for this! Awesome job!
    formerly KittyKitten
    Momma to Tori (6/2005)

Downloads
    Uploads

those are so cute! I love the fabric!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to give it a try!!

My blog with all my sewing projects!

Downloads
    Uploads

So cute-- thanks for sharing!

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job with the tute. Thank you for sharing your pattern. I think my 2yo will look adorable in these.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are SO cute and what an awesome tutorial !!
    Sadly, I don't think my 3 year old, going on 17 will appreciate the ruffles

Want to unload your Otto 2/12? Let me know

Stash Game Running Totals: 770 points/ 77 yards sewn

Downloads
    Uploads

Gorgeous! I think I'll have to make a pair of these for my dd for her 1st birthday next month!

Downloads
    Uploads

I love this!!! I have to make them for my girls!!! Cant wait! Thank you so much for this tute!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen these is clothing mail order cateloques for $150+. . .thanks for all the info. . .planned on making some and now you have saved me some time and some fabric! Thanks again for the wonderful post!!
    Nicole
    SAHM of
    DD (8) and
    DS (5)

ISO Anything? Still have lots of knits let to sell just ask me

Downloads
    Uploads

great job, thanks for the tutorial

Downloads
    Uploads

These are so cute, I love the tute, I am going to try making a pair for one of my nieces.
    Shannon
    mama to Kim 23, Josh 21, Curtis 15 and Sterling 10
    and GRANDMA to a little boy named Kayden Alexander
    BORN 1/1/11 and twin grandbabies Kaylee and Owen born 3 months early March 4th 2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast