User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Silk Screen in 10 Easy(ish) Steps

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to Silk Screen in 10 Easy(ish) Steps

This post goes out to all of you who made "Learn to Silk Screen" your new year's resolution. I intended to get it done in time for Meg's tutorials contest, but I drank too much Bailey's and went to bed early. But a day late and a dollar short, here we go:

1. Take your screen and prepare it. This is photo emulsion silk screening, and we are using the photo emulsion chemicals (which come with their own mixing directions and keep in your fridge for 6 months).

Use a squee gee to apply a thin layer of the chemical to the screen.

I have not been successful at getting my old images fully off the screens, but they don't seem to affect future use, so I don't really worry about it. But that's what you're seeing here.

2. Wait until the chemical dries.

3. Meanwhile, using the government's liberal small personal use policy, you will have copied the image you want onto a transparency (that you did rightfully purchase yourself). Or you can go to Kinko's. The image must be in half-tones--no colors, no shades of grey. Just black and clear. But any amount of detail is fine (this is the big difference from freezer paper stenciling).

ALso pictured there is a thin piece of plexiglass you will need to weight the image down.

4. Place your transparency on top of the dry, prepared silk screen. We happened to own a big shop-style halogen lamp, so that's what I use. Meg's done something crazy like go out in the sun to expose. But the halogen seems more predictable, so get a halogen lamp. Turn the lamp on high and expose the silk screen. You will need to engage in some trial and error to determine how long to expose with your light source. For me, with this set-up, it's 20 min.

5. Flush out the screen with luke warm water.

6. OK, we're ready to print. Fabric, squee gee again, fabric ink. The ink is thicker than fabric paint, FYI.

7. Apply the ink.

8. Cross your fingers, hold your breath, say a prayer, off comes the screen.

9. Voila! Into the oven it goes to be heat-set. Or you can iron it, but with the iron it can scorch, and the oven is so easy. Heat to 400, then turn off, put fabric in, leave for 10 min.

10. Done and all sewn up! (if you really paid attention, you could see I was doing two different silk screen images throughout this tutorial. There's an efficiency to doing several at once, what with all the supply-getting-out and clean-up).

This is the Farbenmix Amelie pattern some of you were considering getting. Cute, right?

Now go forth and silk screen!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How to Silk Screen in 10 Easy(ish) Steps

That is so cool! Now I have to get that pattern because it is so cute, where can I get it? Love the top!!
    The drink looks good too~I love milk! : )
    Thank you for sharing!!!
    Last edited by Island~mom; 01-02-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow- thanks for the tut! Do you make your own screens or do you by them?
    Wife to Ted, Mama to Kiki, 4.

Downloads
    Uploads

Amelie is just adorable, and the silk screening so beautiful. What an amazing tutorial!
    Tracy, Mummy to my first, love, Imogen (1990), and to my sweet twin girls, Violet and Lily (2004), ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My sweet Imogen ... my darling doctor to be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little Ballerinas

Downloads
    Uploads

Definitely going to try this now that my oldest is too cool for the prints I have.
    formerly known as .jjbb. (currently rekindling my love for sewing)

Downloads
    Uploads

So cool! Thanks for sharing and yes Amelie is very cute, especially what you did with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! This was great! Thank you!

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Downloads
    Uploads

Great tut! You mean now I have to pick up a new hobby! We have already run out of room for the ones I have now! May need to try that soon!
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for taking the time to do that!
    ~Shelly
    Mama to Kai (18yo), Rowan (16yo),
    and Douglas (13yo)

So we don't forget who he is:

Downloads
    Uploads

That is so cool!! Great job!
    Rebekah, Navy wife to Kevin, mommy to Caleb 5/12/06 and Analynn 4/19/08

My web site is

Downloads
    Uploads

Great tute - thanks marzipan!! I love, love, love that skeleton/amelie combo!!

rf
    Sewing Up the Stash in 2014!

No. New. Fabric. Must. Use. Stash. (And this time I mean it!)

Neglecting my blog

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great! Thanks for typing that up...not that I have any of that equipment, but I think it looks like lots of fun.

Cute Amelie! If you guys are ever down in LA, you should visit the Tar Pits. Very, very fun.
    Amy, loving wee boy #4
    born last Spring!
    Nature loving, homeschooling mama of 3 4 precious boys.

Wood strip-built kayak made by DH as a gift for his dad.
    Kayaking is my bliss: San Juan Islands last New Years Eve.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tute! Where did you buy that equipment? Dh would love me to be able to do that for his tees....would it be hard to do letters? Can you print onto the transparency with your printer?
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job Mama! Great info.
    Chris

SAHM of 3 & Baby Bean EDD 1/22/10

Downloads
    Uploads

That is awesome! I want to try this this summer. How fun. Thanks!!!
    Jenny
    Sewing mama to 5 on Earth & one born to heaven

ISO:
    Burda Kids Magazine (specifically Spring 2004)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much! Awesome tutorial

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! You've managed to make this look do-able! I'm usually overwhelmed by the mere thought of silk screening - but I think I could manage this. hmmmm....

Do you buy your supplies locally or online (and would you buy this photo emulsion stuff at a craft store, or am I on the wrong track?)
    Des - Happy Wife to my Mr. Wonderful & Mom to 2 girls and a guy: dd (12), dd (10), and ds (8)

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome tute! You made it look so easy. I too am curious about where to get the supplies...

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, thanks!
    Christina

Mama to Ryan (9/07) and Caroline (9/10)

&

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys! I picked up my first round of supplies from dharmatrading (in person, but also available .com). We have two local art stores that I've used for the rest, but it's all readily available online.

Speedball is the main brand available, and they have their own much more comprehensive tutorial and directions.

Now go silk screen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast