User Tag List

Thread: Felt food- Happy Face Pancake

Downloads
    Uploads

Felt food- Happy Face Pancake

Please see the free patterns sections for the full pattern!

My son loves to go with my parents to a family owned restaurant near their town. This is a loose version of their kid pancake, but I think he will get the point.

Materials:
    -a circle or salad plate- I used my 8" salad plate as a template
    -2 pieces of tan felt the size of your template
    -1 strip of cream/yellow felt- 1" by the circumference of your plate plus about 1"- my 8" plate has a circumference. of 25.12 so I cut my strip 1" by 26"
    -1 strip of white felt- 1" by 25" should do it
    -red pompoms- I used 3/4" ones
    -4 circles of cotton batting cut from the template for stuffing OR stuffing/batting of your choice

Note- I have too many pics for this tutorial. I didn't show a pic for each step, but I can if a step is unclear.

Step 1:
    Use your template to cut your felt and cotton batting

Step 2:
    Apply the cream/yellow felt to one tan circle.
    -If you feel sure about your math, then you can sew your circle shut. Then, sew it to your tan circle using a 1/4" seam allowance.
    -If you are not sure about your math, then follow these instructions. Leaving a 2" tail, apply your cream felt to your tan circle using a 1/4" seam allowance.

When you get close to the tail, take your sewing off the machine. Sew the ends of the yellow piece shut, trim excess, and finish sewing yellow strip around the circle.

Step 3: Making the Face
    -Take your long white strip, and run a gathering 2 gathering stitches down the center. Gather as much as you like.

Step 4: Using a straight stitch down the center of your gathering lines, attach the whipped cream smile to your face. Trim excess.

Step 5: Gather a bit of whipped cream for the nose. Stitch it securely in the back, trim excess, and apply to face. These pics were all fuzzy. I can take more if needed.

Step 6: Apply "cherry" pompoms securely to the felt from the back. If young kids will be playing with this, make sure your stitching is secure!

Here is the face so far.

Step 7:
    Sew the cotton batting together in a circle. This does not need to be neat. It is just to hold the pieces together.

Step 8:
    Stitch unsewn side of yellow strip (right sides together) to the happy face using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave about 2" to turn. In theory, it would be better to sew the happy face first so that your seam is under the face. This is just how I photographed this one.

Step 9:
    Turn right side out. Stuff cotton batting inside smoothing it all around.

Step 10: Stitch opening closed. You can also do a couple of stitches around the pancake to secure the batting.

You are finished!
    Last edited by sewingmel; 04-15-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Felt food- Happy Face Pancake

awesome - thanks!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Love it - so great to see someone using a machine on felt food - I was considering this. I'm WAY too slow of a hand sewer.

Downloads
    Uploads

cute!

Hi I am Joanna, I am married to the love of my life Randy, and we have a beautiful daughter named Ella Gene.

Downloads
    Uploads

I love felt food!

Hi I am Joanna, I am married to the love of my life Randy, and we have a beautiful daughter named Ella Gene.