PDA

View Full Version : Farbenmix Kim trousers

quartercentury
02-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Pattern for slim-fitting, flared girl's pants with optional ruffles in Euro sizes 86/92 - 134/140.

I made size 86/92, lengthened, from a stretch twill. I needed to cut several of the pieces across the grain to get what I needed out of the piece of fabric that I had, and am very pleased with the result. I was hesitant to use the size 86/92 tracing that I did a year ago for my now 3-year old, especially as I have read that the pants are very slim fitting. But they were fine. I even needed to sew some elastic into the back waistband to get them to fit well.

I was not super pleased with the instructions, which do not specify when/how to finish ruffles, should you choose to add them in the back cuffs or at the hem. I did not want ruffles, but I did end up needing to cut an extra piece of fabric to use as a finishing cuff. I left out the gathering elastic in the main front cuff piece, which means the cuff isn't straight, but when my kid is wearing them, you can't tell. I was also not pleased with the "Install zipper, if desired." I mean, you can poke around online and find instructions for installing a zipper, but why not just be kind and include them with the pattern instructions?! In the end, I did not use/need a zipper, but I did wing a fake zipper fly using the fly extensions the pattern includes.

Also, I found the waistband not to be wide enough and had to sew on another couple of centimeters.

I would only recommend this pattern to fairly experienced seamstresses, or those used to working with instructions without illustrations. I disagree with the pattern's claim that it is a "good choice for beginners."

I will definitely sew these again.

SNS link is here. (http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?16054 3-Items-from-the-School-of-Eek-and-other-SG-sewing)