PDA

View Full Version : New Look 6078- tops, skirts, and shorts pattern

sewingmel
09-07-2012, 01:26 PM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
New Look Pattern Name/Number
6078- tops, skirts, and shorts pattern Pattern Description
Pattern description is not given on this pattern. This pattern makes a short or long sleeved, knit, boatneck top with sleeves cut with the bodice. It has patterns for a skirt in two lengths and shorts that have front and back pockets, a zipper, and a drawstring. The skirts and shorts are made from woven material. Which view and size did you make?
I made view B in size 10-14 (varied according to my body measurements). Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
The instructions were brief, but this was a pretty basic pattern. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I am not sure that the sizing was correct. I measured between a 10 and 12 for the bust, and I made a size that was between the two. The shirt pulls across the bust too much for my liking. The waist and hips were also made in the "correct" size, but I couldn't get the material to lay correctly. It bunched at the waist.

The arm opening is also pretty large. My bra shows from the side, and that is not a look that I particularly like. Fabric used
blue cotton lycra from Sewzannes Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
I was swimming in the neckline, but I do have narrow shoulders. It is common for me to have to adjust the back on garments that have a back seam. In theory, adjusting the back seam shouldn't have changed the fit of the front so much, but that might have been part of my problem. I took in 1" total at the top of the back down to 1/8" about 3-4 inches from the top. I had my husband measure me to find where to adjust the pattern. If I make this again, I will do a sloping shoulder adjustment instead, but I would still probably need to adjust the back.

I also added length to the pattern. There is a new New Look 6078 pattern for a blouse so I am not sure how old this pattern is. It is probably from the 90's, and the hem sits pretty high according to today's standards. I added 2.5" length, and I only took a 1" hem. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
I want to answer maybe and maybe. I really need new tops so I might be tempted to give this pattern one more try with several adjustments. This pattern would probably look great on some people, but it would probably look horrible on others. I think it just depends on a person's body type. Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
-