PDA

View Full Version : Kwik Sew 728

mom2a2z
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
Kwik Sew Pattern Name/Number
728 Pattern Description
boy's underwear, sizes 2,4,6 Which view and size did you make?
size 6 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
The instructions are good. There's one point that doesn't seem like it makes any sense when they tell you to do it, but if you follow the directions anyway, it turns out just like it should. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
good instructions with pictures, only one main piece Fabric used
cotton baby ribknit Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
The main part of this pattern is one piece, which is nice. The only other pieces are the leg bands and the banding around the fly. The elastic is intended to be attached directly to the top of the underwear, but since the only unders elastic I have has monkeys and monkeys and lizards do not really go together, I added the casing, which I cut at 19x2.25 and should have cut at 19x2.5, or even 19x2.75 might have been better.

This pattern is (c) 1976, so there are a few things I would do differently. First, the leg bands would have been much easier if I'd just done them as binding on the coverstitcher, and likewise for the fly binding. The instructions have you attach RST with the sewing machine, flip and attach the other side, then clip the excess. My applique scissors got a good workout clipping the excess from two leg openings and two fly bindings. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
There's a caution about not attaching the bottom layer when sewing the fly stays on, and I realized later that they were talking about the back of the underwear, not the bottom layer of the front two pieces. The bottom layer of the top part of the front does need to be attached there. I did realize that before I had the elastic on, so that was good.
Oh, and this pattern technically has a view A and view B, but the difference between them is that in view B, they used a different color fabric for the bindings. Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=154 314