PDA

View Full Version : --- OTHER --- Undercover Crates

Mirza
09-04-2011, 06:52 AM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
--- OTHER --- Pattern Name/Number
Undercover Crates Pattern Description
Undercover Crate Tutorial has instructions for making a fabric cover for ugly plastic milk crate type boxes. Can be used for other type boxes also.

Here is the link to the tutorial:

http://lauragunn.typepad.co m/paintinmyhair/2008/09/post-1.html Which view and size did you make?
N/A Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
- What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The free tutorial includes instructions for measuring your own box. I used a locker size crate made by Sterilite to make my covers. Because I measured the outside of the box which was larger than the inside of the box, my cover came out a little big causing the cover to shift when items were placed inside of it. I ended up sewing a fabric cover button on them on the long side which anchors the inside lining also. In the tutorial she covers buttons also but uses brads to secure them. I was afraid the brads would leave big holes. I also used a piece of plastic canvas cut to sized placed at the bottom on top of the lining to help keep the cover in place and avoid shifting. Another thing I did was sew a piece of elastic at the bottom to secure the cover to the outside. Fabric used
Housework whenever print and some green linen Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
All the above fixes really helped the cover look better and work better for me. If I make them again, I will measure the inside and the outside of the box and use those measurements to figure out what to cut. I think that would help the cover to fit more snug. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
Great way to cover ugly boxes. Plan to use these on and around my sewing area to hold patterns, UFO's, planned projects, and scraps. Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=149 195