PDA

View Full Version : Oliver + S Seashore Sundress

mamaholdyou
04-19-2011, 04:04 PM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
Oliver + S Pattern Name/Number
Seashore Sundress Pattern Description
From the website: "This easy children's sundress sewing pattern features button straps, princess seams, and two almost-invisible little pockets at the dropped waist which are perfect for any girl to stash her tiny treasures." Which view and size did you make?
18-24 mos, length added Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
- What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Liked the versatility. You can use many different fabrics and if you are creative you can add so much to this OR its perfect and simple as it is Fabric used
Cotton Twill (also have a seersucker to make another though) Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
Per Liesl's own advice: GO by the chest measurement and trace that size. Then go to the size chart on the pattern and look at the center front length for the size that fits your child's height range. Then add the difference in the number of inches to the pattern by splitting the pattern at the notches and adding 1/2 the length to the bodice all the way around then the other 1/2 of the length to the skirt to keep it proportional.
There is approximately 1" of ease in the patten. So for example a size with a 21" chest measurement will give you a 22" finished garment. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
I made this dress in a class with Liesl Gibson so many people did not look at the instructions and just followed what she said. I got a late start though and did go by the instructions on the pattern and found them very clear.
As she says somewhere ...website maybe? This is meant to be a stand alone sundress and is very fitted under the arms so it would not work well with any kind of long sleeve underneath. This came with a standard looking bloomer pattern for the bottoms that I have not put together yet. They look very very standard though.
The people that took this class are from a very heirloom oriented background so fussy details reign supreme here. Many wanted to pipe the seams and add a bit of contrast to the pocket. In order to pipe the seams you need to put the pieces together in a different order ...first putting the skirt pieces together, then the back and sides, then attach the back and sides to the skirt with piping in that seam, then the sides to the center front with piping down those seams. I think Liesl was rather disturbed by the contrast pocket, however, stating she wanted the pocket to be nearly hidden.
I made this in twill and therefore decided to top stitch the straps and around the top and also the pockets. There is an option to understitch as well. People made this in a variety of fabrics (Seersucker, cotton woven, twill and pique) and they all worked very well.
Liesl suggested that this is a pattern that would look great in a large print which influenced my fabric choice. She also told us not to go crazy trying to match the print across the seams. I thought mine came out really well.
Liesl says that she like for her patterns to be accessible to beginner sewers who might not have access to thinks like sergers, however, especially since I used twill and it was very shreddy, I did a lot of serging on the inside of this.

ALSO Trust the notches!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get the pieces together and think "dear lord Ive done something wrong ...you haven't and it will come out great Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=145 300