PDA

View Full Version : New Look 6429 - Mock wrap dress

quartercentury
02-28-2011, 08:04 AM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
New Look Pattern Name/Number
6429 - Mock wrap dress Pattern Description
Mock wrap dress with variations in sleeves, collar, belt, designed for knits Which view and size did you make?
View B (long sleeve), size 12 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No If not, why?
Sleeve length wasn't long enough! My fault for just assuming and not measuring before cutting, but once cut the sleeves were only long enough to make 3/4 sleeves for me. Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
- What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Having put it together, I do not like 1) the width of the front panels, which puts the mock wrap/gathers right under the (or just my?) breast, rather than to the side, where I think a wrap dress should be gathered, and 2) it has a set-in sleeve! Boo hiss! On the other hand, it fits well - I sewed the size indicated on the envelope by my bust measurement and it fits! Fabric used
Poly knit - too slippery for my taste/machine/level of experience (this only recognized in retrospect, of course) Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
Setting out, I modified the back of the dress - it is designed so that the center back comes to a point where it meets the skirt panels. I made it a little more rounded as the point seemed too 1980s to me (pattern copyright 2004, just FYI) Would you sew this pattern again?
No Would you recommend this pattern to others?
No Any additional comments
OK, so I might make this again with a less slippery/difficult-to-work-with fabric, but only if I succeeded in modifying the front to be wider and the back to be narrower. And for my time, there must be a better wrap dress pattern out there, right? Did you SNS what you made from this pattern? If so, add a link to your SNS here.
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?p=172 0529#post1720529