PDA

View Full Version : Adding a pouch to grocery bag (chico bag style) DL

SynEpona
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
In Downloads :)
www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloads.php?do=fil e&id=545

ericaeli
11-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for making this it looks great. What type of fabric did you use? I made one up last night with quilting cotton, and a much larger pouch, and my bag wouldn't fit in the pouch? Just wondering if you have any secrets how you got your bag to fit in such a small pouch. I think I will try your tute tonight. Thanks again.

SynEpona
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for making this it looks great. What type of fabric did you use? I made one up last night with quilting cotton, and a much larger pouch, and my bag wouldn't fit in the pouch? Just wondering if you have any secrets how you got your bag to fit in such a small pouch. I think I will try your tute tonight. Thanks again.

The solid orange was a slightly better than broadcloth cotton, and the print orange is actually a really horrid feeling fabric that was labeled 'cotton', but I got for 1.50$/meter, and have long doubted it's cotton content! It's stiffer than quilting cottons, but not really thicker.

I do not try to fold the bag in any way, just cram it in there! I also traced a bag from our smaller local market, so it may be smaller than a big chain store's plastic bags.

I did think that making the pouch from knit would give a bit of stretch & allow for bulkier bags to be crammed in ... but didn't try that. Since I have a coop order's worth of Flip & Tumble bags on the way, I'm not sure how many more bags I should make myself, but I may try the knit one next week.

ericaeli
11-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks! A knit is actually a great idea especially one with some lycra in it.

DUMPDUCK3
11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
great tutorial!!!!

suprneko
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
I love it!

sjane
11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Awesome! I love my Chico bags, but they keep disappearing.

Chrisnkelley
11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks Rochelle. I'll have to try this next time I make a shopping bag!

11-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks! A friend of mine just asked me how I would make a chico bag--so your timing is perfect for me to just print this and say HERE is how someone else did it! She's brilliant... so tahdah!

I totally "second" the votes for the pocket to be made out of a knit or something with stretch. It just seems it would work well.

CalicoPrairie
11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, very cool, Ro! :)

Topview
11-13-2010, 03:06 PM
That looks great. Can't wait to try it out.