PDA

View Full Version : How to finish a serged seam - in downloads

sewingmel
10-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I thought we had a tutorial for this, but I couldn't find it in downloads or tutorials. This is how I have been finishing all of my projects for a while, and it is so easy once you get the hang of it.

suprneko
10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Great tute!

Chrisnkelley
10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Great tutorial mel! I have never tried to do this, but it looks doable with your tute! Thank you :)

mommytomaddyharley
10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Great tutorial. Very easy to understand!!! I think Hilary did the tute I think you're thinking of, but it was in a thread in MG in answer to someone's question. I've been finishing my seams this way too. Works great!

chrysalis
10-29-2010, 06:17 AM
That is what I do too. Good job explaining it. I think I have that same machine 936?

jerigirl
10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Thank you! I will have to try this.

jcsews
10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Great tutorial. Very easy to understand!!! I think Hilary did the tute I think you're thinking of, but it was in a thread in MG in answer to someone's question. I've been finishing my seams this way too. Works great!

:yes: I don't think it ever made it into the downloads, but that is where I first learned this method, and it really does work great.

anacris
10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Thank you for this tut!! As a newbie it comes in plenty handy :)

cinnamama
10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Oh bless you.

thefabrickat
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I've always wondered how to do this! Thanks so much for sharing!

CheerMommie
10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks. I'll have to try this method. :) I always used to weave the tail back through the stitching

ialady44
10-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I can not get this to open. Can anyone help me. Thanks.

cinnamama
10-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I used this about 4 or 6 times last night - thank you!

ericaeli
11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks! This looks so much easier than threading the ends back through. I need to try this out before I forget.

bnylund
11-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I can not get this to open. Can anyone help me. Thanks.

I can't get it to open either.....

ialady44
11-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks. It finally opened for me. I have to make some dresses in the next day or two so I'll try this method. In the past (today included) I've had 2-3" tails & then using a tapestry needle threaded those tails into the seam itself. .....Which can take forever! This may be much quicker.

KnitGeek
11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
This is a good tute, but I always do an overlock with threads, and have never 'finished' the ends, and never had a problem. So isn't this sort of extra work? I'm just curious, because I've heard some people swear that no finishing is necessary due to the chain, and others say you have to sew the ends in or whatever. I just know that *knock on wood* I haven't had anything fall apart yet... LOL!

sewingmel
11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
This is a good tute, but I always do an overlock with threads, and have never 'finished' the ends, and never had a problem. So isn't this sort of extra work? I'm just curious, because I've heard some people swear that no finishing is necessary due to the chain, and others say you have to sew the ends in or whatever. I just know that *knock on wood* I haven't had anything fall apart yet... LOL!

I only serge many garments, and I don't trust the garment to not fall apart if the tail is just cut off. If you are also sewing on the sewing machine, then you may be able to leave off this step. I like the inside of my garments to look as neat as possible and leaving a chained-off serger tail inside the garment isn't pretty at all.

This is also how I finish ALL rolled edge t-shirts, nightgowns, dresses, and skirts for my daughter. I tend to do rolled edges in the flat rather than round, and this is a good way to secure those seams.

KnitGeek
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I only serge many garments, and I don't trust the garment to not fall apart if the tail is just cut off. If you are also sewing on the sewing machine, then you may be able to leave off this step. I like the inside of my garments to look as neat as possible and leaving a chained-off serger tail inside the garment isn't pretty at all.

This is also how I finish ALL rolled edge t-shirts, nightgowns, dresses, and skirts for my daughter. I tend to do rolled edges in the flat rather than round, and this is a good way to secure those seams.

I'll have to give it a whirl. I always cut the chain ends off at the fabric edge, but maybe that's bad...? I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, so I hope I don't come off that way...? I really am just a lazy sewer, and not sure what's best. :o I guess it IS better to be safe than sorry, especially if you are gifting or selling an item you make. Your tute really sounds easy though. I never would have thought to do that. So thanks for sharing it! :cheerful:

neeley
01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
i read this post earlier in december and didn't understand it as i had not gotten my serger yet.

now that i have been using it for a few day, this all makes sense. i can't wait to try it on something.

thanks for posting. very clear instructions.

neeley
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
ok. i have tried this...but my beginning and ending looks a bit sloppy. the loops are hanging over the edge. i am petrified to cut the existing stitches when i go back over with the second round. i have contemplated turning off the blades so that it can't cut, and i can get my pretty edge. it's a simple flip of the lever, really?!? thoughts on this appreciated.

i am sure that, with practice, i will get better at this. as long as the stitches don't come out, i needn't worry about how pretty it looks, right?

sewingmel
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Step 11: If you can, lower your cutting blade. If not, carefully do the next step.

Yes! I highly suggest lowering your cutting blade when you do the turn. I don't worry about the beginning because I will go over those stitches. I make sure that I sew close to the edge at the start, and I lower my blade for the finish. That sample was done after quite a bit of practice as well. Yes, practice will ALWAYS help. :)

neeley
01-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes! I highly suggest lowering your cutting blade when you do the turn. I don't worry about the beginning because I will go over those stitches. I make sure that I sew close to the edge at the start, and I lower my blade for the finish. That sample was done after quite a bit of practice as well. Yes, practice will ALWAYS help. :)

thanks mel. i guess practice helps with everything when you are learning...and aren't we always learning?!?!? thanks for the great tute and added tidbits of info!!:hug2:

DydeeDaze
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I am thrilled to see this. Thank you so much!

spamymom
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Very easy to understand! Thank you!