PDA

View Full Version : Princess Hoop Skirt w/Ruching (plus Swag) in dwnld

suprneko
10-27-2010, 02:28 AM
My kiddo wants the skirt of her Belle costume to really stick out, so I decided on a hoop skirt because I really didn't want to make a crinoline. Here is how I made it.

supplies:
underskirt fabric
overskirt fabric
boning (sew-thru boning recommended)
ribbon or twill tape or similiar (wide enough to make a casing for the boning)
waistband elastic
lastin or trim

First, figure out what the finished length of the skirt will be. I decided on 22" (for my short 6 year old, who likes to pull skirts below her belly). Add 1" for elastic casing plus more for hem allowance.

*Alter measurements as needed!!

For the underskirt, cut a 60" wide fabric to 24" length. Sew the selvage edges right sides together, this will be center back. (The selvages of my satin was tighter than the rest of the fabric, so I made sure to serge it off.) Press the seam flat. Mark a line across the entire width of the skirt, 9.5" from the top raw edge. Mark another line across the width of the skirt at 7" from the bottom raw edge. Using the marked lines as a guide, stitch both edges of the ribbon to make a casing. Leave an opening and extra ribbon for overlap. (I ran out of blue seam binding, in case you're wondering why it's partially red). Finish hem.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00556.jpg

Looking at the underskirt, decide how long the shortest part of the overskirt will be. Make it below the lower casing. (If you make the skirt wider, be wary of the length of the droop - you may need to raise the lower casing.) I made mine 18". Add half the length for the ruching fullness (18" + 9" = 27"). Set aside underskirt.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00563.jpg

Cut the overskirt 60" x 27". Sew the selvage edges right sides together just like the underskirt. Hem and press. Lay skirt flat with center back seam right in the middle. Measure width of overskirt and divide by 4. My measurement was 56.75", so a forth of that is 14.1875" (14 and 3/16"). Divide by half (7 and 3/32"). To check measurements, take the last number and measure that amount from center back and center front. The amount of fabric in between those points should be 1/4th of the skirt width (14 and 3/16").
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00566.jpg

Mark a line from raw edge to hem, at 1/8th of the width of the skirt (7 and 3/32") away from center front and center back. Flip skirt over and repeat. These are the ruching guidelines.

**If adding optional swag, you can do it here. See instructions at the end.

If using trim, cut 4 pieces the length of the shortest part of the overskirt (as determined earlier) + 0.5" (so 18" + 0.5" = 18.5"). Fold one end of trim a half inch and stitch down if necessary. Gather overskirt at ruching lines and stitch trim down.

If not using trim, cut 4 pieces of lastin the length of the shortest part of the overskirt (18"). Stretch lastin along ruching lines and stitch.

Serge overskirt to underskirt at waist, matching center front and back. Make a typical elastic waistband, folding 1" over. (Picture shows the skirt on an adult dressform.)
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00570.jpg

I bought some plastic boning, which became a bit of a problem when I needed to join it together. I recommend getting the sew-thru kind instead.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00585.jpg

Round the end of the boning and insert into lower casing, until it stretches the fabric out to the maximum width. If you are using sew-thru boning, cut a bit of an overlap and stitch together. (using the plastic boning, I cut 5" extra overlap and just shoved it into the casing.) The upper casing will need substantially less boning, I used 36" plus overlap - use more if you want a more rounded Cinderella type skirt. This is where the sew-thru boning really makes it easier, I ended up drilling small holes through my plastic boning and hand sewing thick thread to secure. The reason the boning needs to be connected together at the top casing is because the width of the fabric is much larger than the "hoop", you can avoid this by using an A-line skirt pattern for the underskirt. Always round the ends of the boning, you don't want jaggedy points poking holes in the ribbon. After inserting boning into casing and connecting ends, overlap ribbon and sew shut to encase the boning entirely.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00576.jpg

The skirt needed something, so I added some fancy trim that ties the colors together.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00582.jpg

Here is a view of the skirt from underneath.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00580.jpg

**OPTIONAL SWAG: To add a swag to the skirt, cut your accent fabric 10" x 60". Fold in half right sides together the long way, so you have a 5" x 60" piece.

Sew a straight line all along the long raw edge, leaving ends open. Turn right sides out and move seam so it's going down the middle of the piece. Press the seam slightly, try to avoid making a hard pressed edge at the folds.

Stitching very close to the edge, sew the open ends shut. Fold in half so it's half the length and pin a small seam allowance along the raw edge (the seam allowance will be hidden under the trim). Next divide the swag in fourths and mark (mark the top and bottom of the folded edge, then match that mark to the pinned seam allowance and mark the top and bottom of the two new folds).

Decide where to put the swag. I made mine at 9" up from the bottom of the trim.

If you haven't ruched up the overskirt yet, you can add the swag right before that step. Fold up the swag to about 3" at the marks and at the raw ends, folding raw ends under. Stitch down. Finish the rest of the skirt as above.

If you added trim, unpick about 2" of stitching where you want the swag (I unpicked at 8" to 10" from bottom of trim). Thread the swag through the trim, matching trim to the marks. Play with the folds until it looks nice. Hide the ends of the swag under one of the lines of trim, folding it to fit. Stitch trim back down over swag. If you don't have trim, just fold up the swag at the marked areas and ends to about 2" and stitch down, folding the raw ends under. If you don't have trim, it will probably look better if you cover the attached areas with rosettes or bows.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/suprneko/Princess%20hoop%20sk irt%20with%20ruching/DSC00586.jpg

I hope this helps someone!

jcsews
10-27-2010, 06:25 AM
That is a fantastic tutorial! I love it!

sewingmel
10-27-2010, 06:57 AM
That is a great tutorial! Thanks!

shanghismooshie
10-28-2010, 02:45 AM
So cute love it! You make it look so easy.

suprneko
10-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words! :heart:

I updated the tute with an optional swag. Makes it more Belle-like and ties the two colors in better. Wow, natural light makes a huge difference in the pics.

thefabrickat
10-30-2010, 11:59 AM
nice info - reminds me of the days I did period sewing for people - think I still have an adult hoop skirt around here someplace...

CheerMommie
10-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Very nice. :)

tmhaire
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
nice tutorial...I would not have thought of doing that way before! thanks!

vamdep
05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
You make it look really easy...I may need to suprise my munchkin with this.

3chickadeesandme
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
WOW, that is lovely! I'll bet it really is beautiful on!

tlag
05-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I love how the whole skirt became more alive when you get closer to finishing. Great Job!!!!!

Catasbrina
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
very cute :cheerful:

ShannaW
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I already have a pile of satin for this years Halloween Belle dress. It hadn't occurred to me to using boning for a hoop skirt, as I had planned on just filling it out with a petti style underskirt. Now I think I may just do both.

OP, Do you have a link for the top by chance? It looks fabulous too!

suprneko
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I already have a pile of satin for this years Halloween Belle dress. It hadn't occurred to me to using boning for a hoop skirt, as I had planned on just filling it out with a petti style underskirt. Now I think I may just do both.

OP, Do you have a link for the top by chance? It looks fabulous too!
Thanks! Sorry I don't have a pattern for the top, I just winged it. The drape part is just a long and skinny rectangle shaped piece that was cut on the bias with some elastic added, attached to the bodice only at center front and center back. Hope that helps!

ShannaW
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
It does. I'll have to post how ours turns out!