PDA

View Full Version : McCall 5643

Vanessa
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
McCall Pattern Name/Number
5643 Pattern Description
Package includes patterns and instructions to make three aprons with various pocket designs, each offered in four sizes; apron A has contrast flaps and flounce; apron B has contrast ties, pocket band, strap and flounce; apron C has contrast bodice, pocket, lower band, waistband and ties; all aprons have contrast lining. Which view and size did you make?
View B, size small Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
one exception: I have no idea how they wanted the pocket banding to be done. I actually started to do it a different way and then decided that I liked it better in the contrast fabric, so didn't band the pockets. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like: I think it's nice that it's sized and that it's fully lined. It's a great project if you don't have a serger because all seams are encased.

Dislike: There's a shocking lack of topstitching in the pattern. I added lots. This eliminated the need for some of the slipstitching that she calls for. I did still slipstitch the flounce lining by hand which may not thrill those who hate handsewing. The neck strap is also completely ill-sized. I had to make a new one cutting off a few inches from the original pattern. Fabric used
quilting wovens Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
Check the neckstrap before you get it finished. I also would topstitch the straps, the edges, the pocket. All of that will make it look much better after future washings.

I didn't have enough fabric to do the inside lining out of the contrast and probably wouldn't have anyways due to show through. I just used a yard of white fabric instead. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
I'd sew this again if I needed a fun gift. I do plan on trying to make view C for myself as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/plan2scrap/IMG_1589.jpg