PDA

View Full Version : Jalie 2804 - empire cross top for girls & women

quartercentury
08-28-2009, 06:35 AM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
Jalie Pattern Name/Number
2804 - empire cross top for girls & women Pattern Description
Top with cross-over bodice, front empire seam. Options for side runching, ties (for runching) at shoulders, and sleeves (can be made sleeveless, cap sleeves, short, 3/4, or long) Which view and size did you make?
View A (with runching in front), no sleeves, no shoulder ties, size S Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
- What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This is a great pattern. Easy to follow instructions, fits well (though I did have to make a bit of an alteration - the pattern is definitely designed with shorter women in mind!). Fabric used
Cotton jersey with about 10% stretch; the pattern recommends 40% stretch, so I cut out a size bigger than indicated by my bust measurement Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
I had to add an inch of length to the bodice pieces, or the seam would have been right over my breasts instead of under them. I didn't add any length to the back, but took up the extra front length as extra gathers/runching to make more room for my pregnant belly. I followed the instructions for the two layer front faithfully, but in the end I cut out the inner layer! More room for the belly that way, and if I make this again with maternity in mind, I won't bother with the inner layer. I would just stitch the gathered, longer, front layer to the back piece.

I also added another 1/4" of seam allowance (the pattern allows 1/4" to start) because my machine eats knits if I try to sew with anything less than a 3/8" allowance. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
I can see making more of these (with stretchier fabric next time) as my waistline expands, and also with 4-way stretch fabric and the modesty panel (not stitched into the empire seam) as nursing tops.

SNS here:
http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=117 572