View Full Version : Olabelhe Kirstin's Skirt

07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Pattern Manufacturer

Pattern Name/Number

Kirstin's Skirt
Pattern Description

Girl's skirt with sash.
Which view and size did you make?

The example measurements, but single layer skirt.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

If not, why?

Were the instructions easy to follow?

If not, why?

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

DISLIKE: Waistband area is extremely bulky and sewing it was VERY fussy. Haven't tried it on the child yet, but I think the waistband seams are going to be quite bothersome to her. Similarly the pleated front is quite bulky as well.
LIKE: Very cute in the end with lots of twirly girliness.
Fabric used

Mid weight quilter's woven (as recommended)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend

Less bulk at the waistband.
Would you sew this pattern again?

Would you recommend this pattern to others?

Any additional comments

I was attracted to the 'plug your measurements in and make any size' claims, which do look great and are well thought out. Makes the pattern a good value for multiple sizes. However, this pattern is NOT for a beginner or even a mid-level sewist. They would be very frustrated with the attachment of the waistband to skirt as the bulk makes sewing difficult. I consider myself an experienced seamstress and it was very frustrating to me. My machine hated the multiple layers of thickness and I didn't even do a 2 layer skirt. I might sew this again if I can figure out a different waistband, but otherwise it will not be worth the frustration.

UPDATE: I completely altered the waistband to be one continuous piece with a single side seam (but I made the seam on the inside). I did this by attaching the elastic to the inner side of the waistband on the ends only. Then sewing the one seam on the wrong side to make a round continuous waistband, then turning it all right side out, and sewing down the channels like a 'casing' with the elastic already there (similar to sewing some cloth diaper patterns). I had to determine elastic size ahead of time and cut rather than being able to pull and adjust perfectly as suggested in the pattern, but the result was the same. Essentially, the waistband is 'seamless' this way and looks much more comfy. I attached the sashes after to the outside, but still in a way they can go front or back, and am pleased with the results.

When I can will add photos, but the skirts look identical on the outside. While it was my second time making the pattern, which of course will make it easier, I feel the less bulk at the waist made the attaching of the skirt much, much easier and my sewing machine was MUCH happier! I was also able to run the waistband through the serger to make the inner look much more professional as well. It was too thick in the prior construction.